3 BAR GRILL FITTING

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Gwedo, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Gwedo New Member

Has anyone got any tips on fitting a 3 bar grill? about to give it ago sunday morning.

I got it from swg motorsport looks good so im hoping its a good fit has anyone here fitted this version?

Cheers

Gwedo

2. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Easy peasy. Just remove yours carfully. Push out the plastic rods out of the original clips along the top, you may need to reuse them.
    Unplug the wires from the inner lights and pull it forward at the top so it pivots at the bottom, then lift it out. You may need to press on the clips at the bottom.

Remove the metal coloured part from the bottom of your original grill by carefully bending back the tabs. Fit the metal bit to the new grill and bend the tabs over again.

Tie the wires that were for the inner driving lamps out of the way on the car and then put the new grill on in the usual reverse of removal way, cliping it at the bottom first. Reuse the original clips again (unless your new grill has its own push fit clips built in).

Some grills don't come with a cover where the inner righthand light used to be. If this is the case then rain and crap can get into the engine bay. I used a peice of ABS plastic attached behind this area. But the SWG grill probably has a cover built in.

Sorted :thumbup:

3. Gwedo New Member

Cheers mate that was loadddddsss of help much appreciated
    took me 45 mins to fit :)

Bonnet dont shut as well as it did thou [:s] allso the bottom didnt clip into anything really any ideas? clips fine on the top thou so its not going anywhere and it Lies flush so looks ok

heres a pic [​IMG]

4. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Looks good m8. You can adjust the bonnet by screwing the two rubber stops in or out.

I've not had a look at one of those grills, but as long as ya sure its secure, then cool.

5. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

45 minutes to fit it :o :o :o

did you stop for 20 tea breaks or what?!!?!?!!!

looks good tho [8D]

6. LiamG Forum Member

if ya have the golf manual its quite handy

7. destructiv dave Forum Member

you want to try securing it somehow. Had a Bonrath debadged 5 slat on me old car and it was stolen off the car. [:x] Then again that was in Bristol. :)