300bhp for little

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by vee_dub_modder, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Hi all, i'm currently running an AUQ 20vt (Ko3-s) on revo stage 2 software (230bhp approx)
    and its awesome!

However i want in the region of 300bhp that i can run with stock internals. i'm looking to do this as cheap as possible so i'm happy to go down the 2nd hand route.

I already have some of the required hardwear BAM MAF, BAM injectors and TIP... oh and a new crated BAM bare block/head so i can build the engine etc out the car and swap in a weekend. As for the turbo or how i achieve the 300bhp... pretty much anything goes really.

1) Do i continue with the Ko3-S and run a 70 shot of NoS?

2) get my hands on a Ko4 set up and run 280bhp max? (or hybrid)

3) grab a t28 turbo and build a kit

or 4) "insert suggestion here"

cheers all!

2. challice Forum Member

300bhp on stock rods won't last so really best to fit new rods etc so when you have the 300bhp you want it will be reliable...

3. Got rods and pistons but cheers for heads up!:thumbup:

4. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Why 300?

Have you driven a 270bhp K04 hybrid? Very quick.

5. jimk04 Forum Member

^^^^ I will vouch for that!

Dont chase the figures; just build a proper reliable K04 motor and you wont be dissapointed.

My mates runs 'only' 260hp but the rollers showed it to have 340lbs/ft....and that matters. It goes like a bullet in all gears.

But you are doing it nicely by the looks of things, just make sure it is assembled well and you should be fine.

6. yeah, i've driven most modified VAG stuff. just fancied something more. i have through about a hybrid ko3/4 det up and i have a spare turbo (Hazard of the job lol)

Was also thinking about selling the Golf and buying a Golf 2 or another golf 3 to play with.

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Mook and jimk04 have a very good point though. 270PS engine could just as much torque or even more at some part of its rev range than say a poorly tuned or badly engineered peaky 300PS engine.
    So 300PS by itself does not make a vehicle "feel" faster than one tested on the same equipment at 270PS.
    It is down to the shape of the torque curve to determine how the car will feel, not peak power numbers.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'm feeling parallels with the 300 brake 1.8T on a K0X with FMIC, and the 200 brake 16v on std compression, cams + P&P head.

Often rumoured, rarely seen!

9. challice Forum Member

As above with the power an torque, mine runs 272bhp an 345lb/ft with std ko4, stroked to 2ltr...:thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  10. Toyotec

In gear 50-90mph acceleration in say 4th must be immense!!

11. challice Forum Member

It is, massive grin factor, upping the bottom end to 2ltr was the best choice I've made...

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Which block & crank did you use + rods?

13. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

You could alway take a different direction I am running a k04 bam and am using a quaife 6 speed box on a low geared box so it shoots through the gears and gets to top speed vey quick , depends what you want the car for , I wanted mine for sprinting and track use

14. challice Forum Member

Its 225 bam with mk5 2ltr tfsi crank an tsr h section rods with wossner stroker pistons...

15. Sounds perfect!! how much was the box setup? i'm aware all that 270bhp is quick but a Gt2871 running stage 3 software would be quicker. the problem with the KoX is it'll be out of breath at higher revs and no hybrid turbo is going to hit 300bhp without the worlds most optamistic Dyno. I want a well engineered 300bhp+ drive way build worthy of a page in a mag (maybe) at some point... and/or something that'll lay a good standing quarter.
    Might look at Matt blacking the wheels also and putting in a crackle black half cage + GT3 buckets?

I could always sell it as i'm sure its worth a few quid and buy a mk2 GTI run around and BUILD something over 12 months. but at the moment its still my daily.

16. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

IHI VF24, ball bearing Subaru turbo

Often found for 200-300 for a perfect second hand unit

Perfect match for a 1.8t, very little lag and good for safe unstressed 300-350 bhp

Get a manifold from Jabba or Jbs which ever you choose will do a great job

Or if you are handy make your own tubular manifold for around 150

No K04 hybrid will match it IMHO for efficiency and reliability

17. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like a very good torqey set up:)

However, i dont think 2.0l will breath well through that turbo at anything over 6k rpm, simply not big enough, unless you convert to external wastegate and help gas flow

18. I've seen this done on a 1.8t caddy now you mention it with NOS also [:D] in performance VW i think? looked like a good conversion. any suggestions on where to pick one up?? ebay? forum? anyone here fitted one before? :thumbup: **GUIDE**
    hmmmm.

19. Toyotec

It won't hence the reason the torque is most likely dropping off at whatever rpm the peak 275PS was occuring at ;).

20. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

i always assumed the turbo manifold exhaust was the restricting factor on this ,having had a good look at it i wonder how much flow that restricts