3dr Front Seats. Broken.

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by DanMK3GTi8V, Jan 12, 2010.

1. DanMK3GTi8V New Member

Hello.

I'm a bit new to this forum so apologies if I'm asking a daft question that has already been answered.

Basically my drivers side front seat on my 3dr Mk3 wont fold forward. From what I can see the cable has snapped out of the hook.

Any suggestions on how this can be fixed?

Cheers
    Dan

2. theboymike Forum Junkie

If they're anything like the Mk2 seats there are two cables; one for each of the latches at the base of the seat.

You need to bend back the tabs that hold the seat cover on at the bottom rear of the seat back, you can then pull the cover away at the bottom. Reach up and disconnect what's left of the cable at the tipper handle, and install a new cable. Note that the cables run through a series of eylets on the inside of the seat frame.

New cables can be sourced from VW or GSF etc.

HTH ;)

3. DanMK3GTi8V New Member

Thanks for your advice. I'll get cracking with that.

Do VW sell the hooks that the cable slots into as well? Thats where mine's broke and the cable is lodged inside the hook :s

4. The db

The db Forum Junkie

May be worth also checking your local scrappies or ebays for replacement seats as these can go cheap as chips and may be cheaper than buying replacement parts.

5. DanMK3GTi8V New Member

Yea, it might be the easier option. Cheers.

6. theboymike Forum Junkie

Tbh I'd go with new genuine parts; they're only going to cost pence (think my seat cable was only a quid something), they won't have been subjected to years of fatigue, and you won't have to pull the seats to bits / get rid of the remains afterwards..

7. DanMK3GTi8V New Member

I'm going to head to VW tomorrow. My seats are in great condition, would be a shame to get rid, especially as I've had look on eBay and the quality is not half as good.

Cheers