3mm vacuum hose

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by EZ_Pete, Apr 30, 2007.

1. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Having decided I'm not very happy with the vac hose I bought from GSF to re-do my 2E2 vac 'wiring', what are the alternatives?

Samco seem to do one in silicon rubber that looks OK, and reassuringly more expensive than the GSF stuff. Choice of colours too :lol: .

I'm not sure whether I want 2mm or 3mm wall thickness, probably unimportant. I will measure (later) the bit that came from Pierburg with my new pull-down unit.

Anyone else dislike the GSF stuff? It has a braid over the top, which makes it less flexible, and harder to seal your lips round for testing! It also seems to not 'spring back' from deformation around the various pipe stubs, which leads to me to wonder how well it seals.

TIA,

Pete

2. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

I replaced mine with some sold by an aircooled shop on ebay, it has a fabric braiding around it though.

3. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

I got mine from VAG, seemed to be the same stuff as was there before. I can probably still find the part number.....

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Thanks chaps, I can't spot that stuff Max, but I'll keep looking.

VAG sounds like a good idea; when I asked in my local parts department (without a part number to help) they looked at me like I was from another planet (yeah, well) and said they could get it but they'd have to buy a big reel of Xm and they weren't prepared to do that for me. The Samco stuff looks like it might be a bit rigid for my needs, hard to tell from piccies tho. Part number would be great thanks gbk.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

we got some from VW, comes in 5 meter lengths:
    N 020 353 27 - vacuum hose - 6.45

6. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

I wanted the bigger vac hose from the manifold a few weeks ago, but the dealer would have had to sell me a metre for 11, but buy a reel at 55 - which they didn't want to do so it would have been 55. Same for the coolant return hose except that was 90 a reel :o

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Do you mean the vac hose that goes toward the brake-servo stuff? That has its own part number and comes pre-bent into shape. As do the waxstat and choke housing coolant hoses...

Edit 15:00: 2 metres of N 020 353 27 successfully ordered from VAG (on hand), amazing how much more helpful they are when you come armed with the info to save them work. Cheers chaps.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  8. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

The 4 inch piece of braided stuff that is used before the solid brake servo vac hose. The wire reinforcing had started unravelling. The coolant hose was the small bore one that goes from the rad top to the expansion bottle.

9. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

maxmo: I think the vac hose you want is 321-611-939E, goes from intake manifold to brake servo stuff?

Dunno about the thin coolant one to the expansion tank, but I reckon mine's past its best...

10. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Tis ok pete, they showed me the screen - it was true they would have to get a roll of it in and cut to size. But the dealer didn't want too as it would just sit around gathering dust so they said I'd have to buy the whole roll off them.