4 Branch manifolds and the steering boot

Discussion in '8-valve' started by NateS2, Aug 23, 2021.

1. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm sure this has probably been discussed before but, are all 4 branch manifolds equal in terms of melting steering boots?

Is it just the fact that RHD have that boot very close to the exhaust, or is that most "cheap" manifolds are actually made for LHD cars so run closer to the boot then they need to

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Bit of both tbh. For safety sake it's always recommended to wrap or ceramic coat the manifold.

3. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

I wrapped the boot on mine with exhaust wrap (can't afford ceramic coating, and don't like the idea of wrapping the header). Lazy mans option but hasn't melted anything yet :lol:

Pretty sure someone actually started selling specific heat proof boots a while back actually.

2e5eafd77d119101493840dea9880ab3.jpg

4. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Yeahh I think I saw those, what are peoples opinion on the £200 eBay specials? From looking around there is basically used 4-2-1 from Supersprint, used Milltek 4-1 and new no name 4-1. Any pro/cons of each style?

5. Tristan

A standard GTI Manifold and twin downpipe actually flows pretty well tbh...

6. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

As above, the stock 8v GTI setup is pretty good, but if you want a 4 branch get one from a reputable supplier. Personally I'd avoid the Ebay specials.

The TSR/Milltek in the image above, granted is a Mk2 ABF one, but it's a nice bit of kit and fits well without knocking subframes or firewalls etc. The flexi conical joint on it is utter sh*te though.

7. watercooled Forum Member

I agree ,I fitted a 85 GTI set up on my 3a conversion ,used Audi 80 manifold gaskets and match ported to the head,thought the design was pretty good.
    I'am not a real fan of exhaust wrap as it can cause cracking due to heat buildup,mild steel is generally ok but stainless is more prone,seen this first hand,best to wrap the section of pipe near the rack boot (as shown ) and you will be golden.

8. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I wrapped my boot in that gold stuff before, worked a treat, this time I’ll make up a nice little aluminium shield as I’ve got loads of space

9. Tristan

Heat shielding works best if there's an air gap between the item you are protecting and the material you are using to reflect or deflect the heat. So gold foil on a bit of ally plate, even if it's only a few mm away from the boot would be better than just wrapping the boot.