4 cylinder crank weights compared

Discussion in 'Engines' started by A.N. Other, Mar 28, 2010.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

So the 1595cc is 77.4mm
    The 1457cc is 80mm
    Your preference? 77.4mm. Just curious why. Target cc?

My understanding is the keyway is wrong on the EG to swap to (say) DX. If you have any lying around, do check. I can investigate again/get pics but I'd have to travel.

Which country does this 1715 originate?

Newky beckons so back later on.

2. danster Forum Addict

The 1595cc engine with 77.4mm stroke is the carb engine fitted in mk2 golf drivers EZ and mk2 Sciroccos EW etc.
    My reason for using it is that it has the larger crankpins than the early engines, so has a wider choice of conrods. It is also near the 1600cc class split too.

The 1457cc engine has a 73.4 stroke which is the shortest stroke I have come across, but it has smaller crankpins and would need to use corresponding conrods to suit.

Not come across keyway issue before with EG engine.

As for 1715cc country of origin. Presumably Germany. It is listed in a British Haynes manual though which does cover North American models too, so a bit more digging required to determine the answer. First date of production would be good to establish as well if there are any detectives out there up for a challenge.

3. infinity

infinity Forum Member

all 8v pulleys are inter-changable.

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Can confirm that this relates to issues is with putting EG/DX cranks into 16v engines, so I guess that's a suitable divide to have in place ;) :lol:

This is in the ballpark of the 1300 Scirocco. Available in some European countries, never seen in the UK. In all honesty and being serious (for once!) it's case of unless one can be found, it sits as theory and nothing more. A nice curiousity though :thumbup:

5. danster Forum Addict

A curiosity to some perhaps, but not this "donut muncher";), because if the 86mm stoke crank existed prior to 1979 (if this is found to be the case), then it opens up the use of an 86mm crank to classic racers as it is a "production and of the era part". Due to it's rarity it could be substituted for a later style 86mm crank in a similar way to the Lotus Elan's using 711 Ford crossflow blocks which they never came with originally.:thumbup:

6. danster Forum Addict

Bump for the CSI CGTI detectives to find out when the 1715cc engine first came into production. Be it in a VW or an Audi and in any country.:thumbup:

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Quick skim:

Code EN, 57kw, 78hp, 1.7, 8/1980-7/1982,
    Code EN, 57kw, 78hp, 1.7, 8/1980-12/1983, "J.."*

J.. = Japan

8. danster Forum Addict

Quick skim[:s]

Free donut and slab of McEwan's to the person that can find an earlier date than Christine!;)

Prize will be awarded by Mr Eyre to clear outstanding debts!;)

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Out of luck - and rightly so :lol: No UK Golf should be traipsing around on a 1.7 crank, even if the weight-challenged on the other side of the Pond had them. Obvious, since they don't play cricket ;)

All of which means I lay claim to my slab of Newky once again - send the beer this way!

10. danster Forum Addict

That really depends on the "supplementary regs" for the specific class one is entering.
    There are all sorts of interesting cars coming out in the classics these days up here and the way the class splits are, along with the supplementatry regs means that if it was in production prior to 1979 it is usable. I have a Rabbit badge by the way.
    Your date is close to that for Japan, so surely it must have been produced prior to this date before exporting to Hondaland.