4 Motion Haldex gen 2 filter problem

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by ihs61, Mar 1, 2014.

1. ihs61 New Member

Hi
    I have my car in at a local garage for a full service inc the Haldex, I supplied a genuine VW filter and oil for this coupling.
    The mechanic has contacted me as the drain oil was dirty but the filter wasn't ? upon closer inspection (looking into the filter housing with a mirror) he says their is a fleece filter as well.

After trawling the net I have found this to be correct as VW changed the filters on the Gen2 from 2004. If this is right what's the point in still having the old filter that's clearly not doing anything. I might as well have spent the money on beer !

Should I have just had the oil drained and replaced ? the chap did say the old filter was in really tight.

Thanks Ian

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

Given that it`s open I would change the filter/s, if you did not supply the correct filter/s then do so.

Is the original filter element required to secure the `fleece` ?

Dirty oil - clean filter = ?

3. ihs61 New Member

Haldex filter

After extensive research I have not got to the bottom of my filter issue. The gen 2 haldex fitted to MK5 golfs (2.0 tdi 4motions) have a fleece filter fitted that is good for the life of the haldex. It does not require changing or cleaning.

The VW recommended part is not fitted to these vehicles, mine had one fitted by a VW technicial as part of a service, was simply pushed into the hole and just left there.
    All that is required is an oil change !

this is the correct but redundant part ! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301061463891?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

thanks Ian

jamesa likes this.
  4. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014