43 real world mpg MK2 Golf 8v GTI...No? 51.7mpg 21/04/12 439miles a tank.

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Toyotec, Jan 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

That's not far off my Audi TDi's economy. The only benefit I've found though is you can thrash a derv and still keep MPG, I used to make my economy drop like a stone in the GTi though...

2. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

I can confirm my TD 8v will reach the same Fuel figures if driven carefully, i was astounded after eading this and decided to try. over a 52 mile round trip on saturday on motorway and A and B roads i got an overall figure of 48mpg
    This was amazing... until the next time i tried to improve the figure (tonight) the head gasket went [:x]

I managed to nurse it home from 26 miles away and now i'm going to port the head while its off !

Steve

3. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Rather than estimate fuel levels off the gauge it's a better protocol to brim, drive, brim, record volume and mileage isn't it?

4. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Yes indeed but I was only really seeing if my car would get anywhere near these figures, I don't have the patience to drive carefully all the time, I usually use my GTI to put the smile ony face

5. Golfamily7 Forum Member

Eddie, for your info i once got 460 miles out of my old mk2 valver tank. When i filled it i managed to get in 54.6 litres! Still 460 miles was amazing.

6. thegave Forum Member

The MK2 tank is bigger than its stated 55. I once filled 58. The time I ran it empty (doh) I think I squeezed over 60L into it.

Yes it was silly but traffic is a little unpredictable sometimes.

7. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

The first page shows both actual & from the Mk2 gauge.

MFA is very close to the actual, and under read by 1.3%, which means that in this study you can take the Mk2 gauge figures as valid.

8. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Sheesh! you are putting me to shame Eddy! I've been struggling to hit 47mpg in my diesel Honda Accord lately... Admittedly my foot has become heavier, but even if I try I dont think I can beat 50mpg.

Anyone want to swap their 1990 8v GTI for a 2004 Honda Accord iCTDI?

lol