4Mo Gearbox..... HELP!!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by gunx01, Jun 19, 2012.

1. gunx01 New Member

Hi

Was on my home when I went to go down a gear but felt like it was still in the same gear. I could only get it into 4th (managed to get home!!). Parked up and found that it was very hard to get into any other gear and if I do it feels like the brakes are on when trying to move (car wont move). Let the car sit for a while and tried again, this time all gears were selected with no issues (apart from the car not being able to move) but then it got stuck in 5th and I cannot for the life of me get it into neutral.

Gear wise, when the gear stick is in neutral position the car is still in gear (if that makes any sense), seems like it is in 4th. With Reverse, 1st, 2nd and 3rd the gear stick will go into position but when trying to move off it feels like something is holding the car back. In 4th the car will move and 5th and 6th are too difficult to get into.

Have been told it is possibly the selector fork. Any idea how much something like this would cost and how do I know i'm not being ripped off.

Thanks in advance