5k Budget

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by philnotlob, Oct 23, 2003.

1. philnotlob New Member

Im looking to buy my first dub and I have a 5k budget!!!

Im 21 years of age without any no claims bonus, had a quote of 980 fully comp on a 16v Mk3 Anniversary [:*:] , but is there any other dub I should consider (need a bit of power, vr cains the insurance) and where would the best place to buy a minter?

2. dubleon Forum Member

A mint MK2 16v [:D] Look on PVW and the Edition38forum for some well looked after dubs :)

3. AndrewF Forum Addict

well 16v anni's are very rare, only 150 produced (lots of fakes though). there were more 8v anni's though. wouldn't have thought a vr was that much more on insurance!

4. philnotlob New Member

Vr is about 1600 Fully Comp but I like the rarety of the anniversary - heard bad rumours of the 8v being severely underpowered.

Driven a mates mk2 16v - very impressed on the speed but the gear box reminds me of a wooden spoon in a couldren of porridge, unless his is on the way out!!!

5. S1MMA Forum Member

Id look for a well specced 16V MK3 for that money mate, I bought an 8v as I had zero NCB, when I was 21. Mine has full heated black leather, air con, full electrics, full closure logic 900 alarm, 6 disc changer, and only had 42000 miles on it.

Look for something similar low milage on the usual car sites (autotrader etc...) and see what you can find. You will enjoy a 16v mk3, good car for the money.

You'll have a job finding a decent condition 16v anni, best bet is to get a well specced 16v, and buy some BBS splits like I did! Check the mk3 pics thread for a few of mine.

6. S1MMA Forum Member

just reread your post, you have zero no claims, and can get 980 on a mk3 anni??? Where did you get that from?!??!!? I could only insure a mk3 16v for about 1800-2000 about 22months ago! My 8v was 1360 fully comp. You've done well to find that one.

7. philnotlob New Member

8. AndrewF Forum Addict

you sure they're not quoting an 8v anni?

i doubt you'll find a 16v anni, but you could go for a normal 16v - there's plenty about.

can't believe the vr is that much more on insurance, its only like two insurance groups higher (1 if its an older vr6). you could probably get a better price on an early vr6 (pre '95).

9. philnotlob New Member

This was a quote on a 1997 VR6 Highline!!!

I didnt realise that the older vr was lower insurance group, what year did it raise?

10. S1MMA Forum Member

acf, vr's are a lot harder to insure than the 2 insurance groups would make you think. Could be for any number of reasons: more written off, more payouts for accidents, higher costs to fix after an accident, etc....

Phil, mine is not a colour concept, it was well specced from the factory, leather was an option. But for the price VW probably asked for it (probably like 1000-1500) it wouldnt make much sense to order it. Mine was bought from Scotts of Sloane Square VW, by a rich bank manager so it got some good boxes ticked.

You can find them though, do a search for a golf gti and specify 'leather' as a keyword. Thats prob. the best car for you mate, I wouldve loved a 16v when I was 21.

11. AndrewF Forum Addict

well, i never even thought about a 16v, i had to have a vr, i'm 22.

i also think the highline's cost more to insure than the 'standard' vr. try a quote on normal '97, and try a quote on a '94 one as well...see if there's a difference. if you can afford the insurance, it's worth gettin the vr (not sayin the 16v is bad though) cause you'll want to upgrade to one in a couple of years anyway...probably.

12. S1MMA Forum Member

how many years no claims do you have acf?

13. AndrewF Forum Addict

4, insurance is a grand (but thats protected, with monthyl payments, otherwise it would be 950).

14. S1MMA Forum Member

when i was 21 as phil is now, we both had/have zero no claims, so it's a lot harder to justify 2k + for insurance on a VR. VR's are faster, but a 16v is a good consolation especially with zero ncb! People usually buy 1.4's and drivers with zero no claims!

15. S1MMA Forum Member

I just did a quote on that insuresupermarket and it has come out on a standard mk3 8v gti at 915 cheapest.

Thats for a 23 year old with 2 years NCB, parking on a drive in a supersafe area. Still a bit miffed how you managed to get 980 on a 16v anni phil, the anni's are harder to insure than standard ones also. You should pull their frickin arms and legs off with that quote and buy a mk3 16v today incase they change it!

what have you been quoted on elephant or tesco?

16. philnotlob New Member

Its a bit strange that web site!!! The figure I was quoted on was as a "named" insurance company and to access who this "named" company was you have to pay 3 quid to find out! :o

With Direct Line it was 1300 on a mk3 valver, 1700 on a vr! Big difference of over a quid more per day!

17. AndrewF Forum Addict

i always put my excess up to 500...the way i look at it is that i'll save that money if i don't crash.

18. S1MMA Forum Member

yeah, there always seems to be a cutoff point for increasing the voluntary excess. For the first 100 more excess you put on, you get like 80 off the premium, but it goes down for every extra 100 voluntary excess you specify. I'd stop at about 50 less premium for 100 more excess, and hope you dont crash!

19. MK2. Forum Member

Buy phattys old shell, you could build a decent car with 5g [8D]