6.5" Transmission Line Sub!

Discussion in 'ICE' started by vw_singh, May 10, 2012.

1. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I know CGTi isn't the best place for it but time for something different!

What I get up to when I'm not tinkering with the mk1.

I had been reading about the efficiency and low range extension that transmission line or TL enclosures offer allowing for full deep and accurate bass without using monster amps or subs.

TL enclosures are picky with thiele small parameters so choosing the right driver is very important. After much mooching about, I settled on a Peerless 6.5" driver. A bit of math later a suitable enclosure was calculated and built.

Internal shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one was built for a friend. We fired it up with a measly 150WRMS and gave it a workout. To say that I was impressed is an understatement! TL's are known to extend way past the ported frequency and it certainly shows. We could pick up the lowest drum and bass notes along with bumping away to usual duties. It was the real technical bass changes that the sub really excelled on, changing notes with speed and precision that larger drivers struggle with.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't the kind of sub that you will hear coming down the street in factyou can't hear it at all outside, but it really fills the car space with notes you inly though possible with a big 12" or 15" with a lot of power going to it.

Gurds

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Looks a good build but is it worth all the hassle when you could go sealed with a 10"?

Whats the enclosure size?

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Its approx 63.5 x 41 x 20 cms.

I haven't heard a sealed 10" play notes like this. Also, I'd probably have to give a 10" 300WRMS or more to get it to work. Infact I used to run a 12" JL12W3 sealed off 740WRMS which was louder and more intense but didn't breathe the low notes in the same way.

I want my own system to all run off one amp and nearly all decent subs on the market will need a seperate amp to make them work properly.

And yes, it was deffo worth the hassle! Plus it cost no more than 100 including the driver!!!

Gurds

4. GAD

gad Forum Member

I think that it is worth the effort especially when you consider the speed and accuracy a smaller drive unit give you. Nice Job.

Transmission line designs are very efficient.

Reminds me of my TDL RTL8's that I once had.

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Thing is I have a Denon DCA-800 that I want to make the most of. I'll brigde the 6 channels to 3 channels of 100WRMS class A goodness to a set of components and this sub. This small sub will make the most of that 100W where as larger units won't even break a sweat.

Gurds

6. GAD

gad Forum Member

You can also make some very good single driver full range speakers that will sound great when using a TL based cabinet and run of a valve amp. Would be very nice

7. GAD

gad Forum Member

DCA-800
    Class goodness for sure, I had one sold it and regretted it
    Class A does sound better and can drive hard,
    That would be a nice set up

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Ace. I used to be a massive geek for sub boxes. You seen a youtube channel called barevids? He does some clever stuff. I want a box like that for the m3 when its done

9. benny Forum Member

Denon DCA-800! That takes me back, how much did I want one of those back in the day! :thumbup:

10. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

This is my 2nd Denon. I sold the 1st one and regretted it ever since. It's still such a good amp! Still got my Alpine Head unit and CD changer too. Not MP3 compatible but MP3's? Really? [xx(]

Gurds

11. Willber Forum Member

Cool build. Used to have a 10" Image Dynamics ID sub in an unported enclosure running of a Genesis profile sub amp, it was awesome!

Don't have any ICE now as my GTI is too loud and A5 has a good stereo as standard.

Like to tinker with hi fi at home though :)

12. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Awesome kit right there. Sad that car audio costs sooo much more than home hifi to get anywhere near close in quality.

I'm tempted to rip the pish equipment out of the Mk5 now :o [:D]

Gurds

13. Willber Forum Member

Too true! I sold the sub on eBay for 30 or something stupid, I don't think anybody knew what it was! I bought it from a guy locally who was a proper scientific sound geek - he tried to explain why it was good to me when I bought it and was met with a look of [:s] didn't half bump though!!

Got my money back and more on the Genesis amp though which was good :)

Just remembered that crazy guy Steve Meade and his videos on YouTube of his truck install [:D]