6.5" Width too narrow for trackuse?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by jenks, Mar 21, 2008.

1. jenks New Member

Sorry guys, ive spent ages on the searches tonight and cant find any info.

I have a mk2 Vr6 ready for nice starter track days. 5x100 hubs.

My friend has forged alloys off a subaru impreza, BBS alloys with 195/45 toyo proxes on them, these alloys are so light, all four can be picked up at once.I dont know exact weight.

I know the tyre size isnt the best but will a 6.5x16 give good grip and/or handling?
    Or should i stick with the 7x15s i already have with the right tyre size?

TIA

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I would stick with the wider wheels myself... maybe others will say different having had experience of both on a mk2 - I would imagine that the benefit of wider wheels - extra tyre surface area - wider track would be better than the benefits of a lighter wheel? I have been looking at some of these for my mk3....

pretty cheap for the quality and weight i think
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Speedline-210...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

3. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

i would say it depends more on the tyres,

remember you can fit 195/45 on a 7" rim,

tim

4. geezer Forum Member

it depends on the et's as well , i'd say the lighter wheels would be the better bet for track use , lower unsprung weight and well less weight overall , although to be honest i doubt if i'd be able to tell the difference

5. seanlazyass Forum Member

I run light weight 6.5x15 with 195/50/15.

Its the tyre presuming it fits on the rim correctly thats important.

6. jenks New Member

yeah i have been reading alot on tyres, so i know the tyres are more important.

Just realised i have to run 20mm spacers to clear the brakes due to a high offset, so looks like ill be sticking to my 15s.

Thanks for the input!