6 speed gearbox - 02S GXV code - final drives

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by coupechamp, Dec 4, 2008.

1. coupechamp Forum Member

Hi all, i know some of you have access to some info i can't seem to find and hope maybe you could help. I have a 6 speed GXV code gearbox which i use in my race Polo, it is currently 3.94 ratio final drive, i need to get this swapped for something around 4.25 / 4.5 and seem to be struggling to find anyone who does a crown wheel and pinion. I know there are current cars out there with this in, things like 05 jetta, touran, passat, the problem i have is that through VW Racing we ordered a set which turned up with exactly the same ratio as the one in, so we sent it back, the 2nd one arrived but was completly different in terms of the pinion, they started to get a bit funny with regards to ordering anymore. What i would love to know is either a part number or place to get one, (crown wheel and pinion).

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, can anyone help make this a front running car now all the hard work is done,

regards to all who help or read,
    cheers
    Doug

2. coupechamp Forum Member

6 speed gearbox - Lupo GXV code - final drives

hi all, does anyone know of a site where you can find all the details about the 6 speed boxes, ratio's final drives etc.

I need to change the 3.94 FD on my GXV box for something closer to 4.25, and it's getting desperate for time now. Any ideas. cheers all

Doug

3. Supercharged Forum Member

Get your parts man to look on ETKA!

4. coupechamp Forum Member

yeah kind of been there, but it's finding the right bit, will look again though (i'm the parts man aswell as the driver, mechanic, tea maker, van driver, graphics... you get it...lol)
    cheers for getting back

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

just had a quick look on etka, your running a o2s box as i can work out, end cam silmar to the 6 speed vw motorsport boxes? which sure you know was based on the evolution of the 02a boxes

your gear set lists as 63/16

as a very quick look at the diesels i know of, found a ratio of 4.235 from a gear set on 72 / 17 (PN # 02A 409 143 M )

i have no idea if this is any help, or even if it fits without mods , its on a early mk4 box,

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Apologies Doug, I thought this was the Lupo 6-speeder which is Dogwood's territory.

As Crispy says, yours is a box from the 02A 5spd => 02J 5spd => O2S 6spd evolution.

Have a look on the 02S links on here

I can't recall whether the 02A/J 4.25 final drive is swappable to 02S, but I suspect not if the pinion is a one-piece item. The Gemini kits are two piece, with splined dumbell fitments to extend into the end casing.

So it's down to whether Crispy's "02A" part no is the real deal for an 02S box.

7. coupechamp Forum Member

cheers all, i will have a look, my brain is melting with all the info, but i will get me head around it, appreciate the responses, here we go....lol

8. coupechamp Forum Member

a bit of follow up info, when ever i look up this GXV box i always find it in a Golf, Touran etc, the guys at VW racing are adamant it came from a Lupo Gti, hence why i include that bit, but i never seem to find it associated with the Lupo. When i get a minute i will have a look at what crispy was saying, just seems amazing that you can't seem to readily get this bit. I think i wrote it somewhere else as well, but there seem to be (origional) parts to suit, it's just finding them, as your local dealer cant just get them and show them to me, as we found out from ordering stuff through VW racing. The 1st turned up as the same bit i had, and the 2nd came along completely different, the dealer then didn't want to order anymore untill we had the right bit. Failing all this i will just have to shove the 6 speed back in and not really get the benefit of the 6 speed.....maybe Santa will bring the Quaife kit.....

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Take a picture of the end-casing in the wheel arch - that'll ID it.

10. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

the GXV is a golf gearbox
    the lupo 6 speed is code GVX
    hope this is some help
    fig7 second photo is what the lupo gvx box looks like
    and fig4 first photo is what golf gxv looks like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  11. coupechamp Forum Member

aaahhh, that could explain whats happened, cool

12. MUSHY 16V

edited the last post a bit

13. coupechamp Forum Member

theres a bit of advertising space on the car to anyone who gets it right i.e part numbers etc, if anyone is interested, i dont want to shove it back in as the same ratio....lol or cry

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I would like to find something on this, but I exhausted enquiries a year or so ago.

Did this gearbox come with the Polo pictured? What year is it & what engine originally fitted? It's an avenue I haven't checked.

If we can come up with anything, we'll sort you four Club GTI stickers to go on the car.

15. MUSHY 16V

witch box dose it have mk4 or polo 6 speed

16. coupechamp Forum Member

Hi again, it has what i'va always said was the 6 speed Golf box, (GXV). It has the 2ltr 20v Golf big valve head (AGU) with the 1.8T bottom end but without the turbo. Theres not much left which is Polo i suppose, mk4 Golf hubs and shafts with bigger flanges. Sorry for the delay in getting back, wirless probs!!

17. coupechamp Forum Member

just had a look at that part number from crispy: (02A 409 143 M) and it seems to be for the 5 speed, which as going by the part that arrived from the States is no good, the pinion is to short. Unless i am missing something on the catalogue. As of Monday i will be away for chrimbo, just in case any replies come in, but at 12 degrees above the artic cirle and minus 15 at the moment i might not be able to type....lol

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've had a quick scan through the parts catalogue - this is what I found for final drives:

63/16 = 3.938

• GQL {Touran, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007}
    • GXV {Mk5 Golf, 2005, 2006 & 2007 + Mk5 Jetta, 2006 & 2007}

62/17 = 3.647

• FYG {Touran, 2003, 2004 & 2005}
    • GQN {Touran, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007}
    • GQP {Mk5 Golf, 2005, 2006 & 2007 + Mk5 Jetta, 2006 & 2007 + Audi A3, 2004, 2005, 2006 &2007}
    • GLB {Mk5 Golf, 2005 + Audi A3, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007}
    • HYG {Touran, 2006 & 2007}
    • JAU {Mk5 Golf, 2006 & 2007}
    • JCN {Audi A3, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007}
    • JCQ {Mk5 Golf, 2006 & 2007 + Touran, 2006 & 2007}

61/18 = 3.389

• GQM {Mk5 Golf, 2005 & 2006}

Will have more of a look, but if there was a 4.2 in there, I've a feeling someone would have found it since this gearbox properly surfaced amongst the forums in 2005/6. I just can't see how we could have missed it.

Only suggestion would be to get one made, but I don't think there's enough demand to do a GB on one of these at this point?

Edit: Beetle, Polo, Lupo, Ibiza, Leon (to 2004), Skoda Fabia, Octavia & Audi A2 checked - nothing there.

And Bildon don't show anything here so it's fairly safe to say nothing better than a 3.9 exists...

19. coupechamp Forum Member

Nice effort chris, it was looking rather hard to do this, and it got to the point where i said to the gearbox man just to rebuild the 6 speed and let me get it back in, then i can get out testing. We have now another idea which we are currently looking at which could well be the way to do it. The last race i had the 5 speed seat Ibiza box in (EWY or EWZ code) and although it was way to long, rather than let a freshly rebuilt box sit on the garage floor we thought about changing the F/D on this to the 4.25 i was looking for. Well it turns out the box in my T4 transporter has a F/D of 4.922 (74/15). doing the maths it actually looks the way to do it. So at present we are trying to find out for deffinate if it will fit.....

I will keep you all posted... But again thanks for the help so far guys

watch this space.... as they say

20. coupechamp Forum Member

meant to say, i had a price to have one made...... are you sitting down....3.500[:^(] [xx(] :o