60k service and odometer readings

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Wilmal, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Wilmal Forum Member

Browsing through my service history, there's a fair bit of work done for the 60k service (one of the major ones I know), which I understand includes changing the cambelt.

It's got written down C/report condition of cambelt, with a price of 24 quid on it, but in the parts description the only belt I can see is 'V belt'. Sorry for the stupid question but does this mean the cambelt has been changed or not?

Apparently my odometer doesn't work properly... sometimes the miles go up correctly and sometimes they don't? It's got an indicated 87k on it, which is probably more like 100k (I'm presuming), and the 60k service was carried out in 1996, I'm thinking it'd be a safe bet to change the cambelt sometime soon?

Thanks.

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah they really need changing more often than every 14 years

3. turnipmuncher Forum Member

Definitely worth taking the effort to change the cambelt or paying a garage to install, as your be mighty pi$$ed off when it does break.

Changing the dodgy odometer might be a plan too....

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

cambelt is a toothed belt, not a v belt!!!!

5. Wilmal Forum Member

I'm gonna get the belt cover off today and have a little look, what are the main signs of a worn cambelt?

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

teeth missing lol ...just change it , you cant look at em and judge the age /milage

7. Wilmal Forum Member

Ok cheers, yeah I'm gonna change it as soon as. Will the water pump need to be done too or do you reckon I'll get away with leaving it? It's only done an indicated 30k or so since it was last done.

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

for the cost... do you feel its worth the risk not doing it? kit costs nothing

9. Wilmal Forum Member

Are 16v and 8v waterpumps the same? GSF only seems to have one for the GTI.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  10. Wilmal Forum Member

Thanks for the advice chaps, only just found out there's a Eurocarparts branch near me, so I'll pick up the parts this afternoon and get the work done before Golf goes on the road.