!6v Cylinder head rebuild HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Harvey_inc, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Harvey_inc Forum Member

Hi Guys, Loving the new site, I dont post very often but prefer to read than type ,but I need some help
    Ive been rebuilding my 16v cylinder head, Ive changed all the seals reground the valves ,changed the timing chain and whilst at it fitted KR cams its a 2l 6a engine
    On tightening up the cam caps Ive managed to shear two of the studs ,I know I puled every thing down evenly and the torque wrench was set to the correct torque ,????????
    Now I need to replace them, I m going to replace the lot of them on the ground if 2 were dodgy then better safe than sorry
    Problem now is finding these studs they are 7mm thread diameter and the only people who have got them is the dealer and Im not happy paying double the price on parts (They were double the price when I asked for a price on the head bolts ) I just know I can find them cheaper than 2 a stud when 8mm are something like 50p
    Ive tryed GSF with on joy Ive also tryed my local engineering shops still no luck
    Can any body help Please [:^(] [:^(]

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Try AVS or OEM Parts. They might be able to help.

But for 20 quid's worth of bits, it's not really worth spending too much time looking for them.

3. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Studs are of the lowest quality steel available and are easily stretched/snapped (I know[:$] ).But it is better to do that than crack a bearing cap so buy the originals for that alone rather than buying M7 screwed rod and using that.
    Use a small and accurate torque wrench to tighten them evenly (that was my mistake not to do that).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  4. Harvey_inc Forum Member

Affraid it works out to a lot more than 20 ......2 a stud 24 of these in total then the Nuts are 1 each need another 24 of these .......... Best part of 90 before the dreaded tax

5. Harvey_inc Forum Member

I will give these two a try monday
    Thanks