'75 Golf LS Auto on 40's

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by tallika_fan, Oct 1, 2007.

1. tallika_fan

tallika_fan Forum Member

It's time to revive a very old thread..

The old girl is back on the road!

MOT.jpg

2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Excellent what are the plans now?

3. tallika_fan

tallika_fan Forum Member

There are lots to do. Cure some of the less structural rust, reupholster interior, tidy up wiring, properly tune and set up the carbs, that'll be done soon hopefully. Timing belt, valve stem seals, replacement fuel sender. The list goes on...

I'll edit this thread to include the work I've done over the last couple of months.

Just as a highlight:-

Stuff that I've done:
    New coilovers, uprated headlight loom, electronic ignition, new wishbones, new top mounts, rear beam refurbed, new axle bushes, refurbed petrol tank, refurbed rear brakes, upgraded and refurbed front brakes.

Stuff that I couldn't do:
    Replacement sills welded in
    New metal lower skin for osf and nsr doors.
    Repairs to ns wing, ns a-pillar.

I'll add photos soon.

4. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Look forward to the update

Check out GLT automotive for re-trimming he does a great job if you want his number let me know

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Maybe get it finished in time for a bit of Club banter and fun here in a most blatant plug lol

Seriously though, good to see you still have it and have been inspired to spend some time on it again.

6. tallika_fan

tallika_fan Forum Member

Can you imagine it on a track! Lol. Think it'd be fun though.

Really tempted with trying to find out if I can fit a 1.6 8v crossflow head from a beetle. Don't quite know yet whether they'd mate up.

Definitely loving being behind the wheel again though. Been too long!

7. tallika_fan

tallika_fan Forum Member

So it turns out I didn't come back to add photos...

Since I last updated with the interim restoration back in 2017, I bought a Mk4 R32 a month later, that turned out to be a bit of a mare, so ended up ploughing monies into that and fixing a bunch of problems, time went on, a month after that (November '17) I bought my current daily, a 330D touring, I still had the Bora until that sold, so 4 cars and the Mk1 at the back of the drive. it came out occasionally when others were out of the way.

The Bora went a few months later, then ultimately sold the R32 last year so down to two cars and I can get the golf out again!

Anyway, with all that said, there were plans I wanted to action and when I was asked if I wanted the car on a stand this year at VWNW, I actioned them..

New front bearings (another of the reasons i didn't drive it often, they were shot! so noisy!)
    Coltech raised top mounts,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wheel adapters, for a set of T5 steels I picked up last year.
    [​IMG]

Chassis notch for a bit more clearance..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fixed some of the wiring that was in the previous post.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Home made gauge pod in the centre console.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Steering wheel retrimmed. Also fixed the horn press with the kit from MK! Engineering
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior upgrades [:D]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Refurbed the wiper motor, it was really sluggish!

Fitted a fuel pressure regulator and glass filter from filter king.

Refurbed the carbs, changed the gaskets and stuff and put them through an ultrasonic cleaner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The roof is something i've wanted to tackle for a while, trying to remove all the old rust convertor excess, lots of scraping and sanding and polishing over last week when i could. got rid of the majority, then applied some paste wax to it to hopefully seal it a bit.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Definitely still a work in progress though it's good to get out and use her again.

erreesse likes this.
  8. tallika_fan

tallika_fan Forum Member

Didn't actually take any photos from the front at the show but this is before i washed it a couple of weeks ago.

she's looking waaaay more tired these days, i didn't actually buy a cover for it until last year. so it's been parked under a leaky car port since 2008 or so so it's seen a fair bit of weather.

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.