'83 Golf - BBS Bodykit - After crash Resto Project - Off to paint again!!!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by alfie, Jul 2, 2010.

1. smp1987 Forum Member

I dread that i will have to do this to mine at some point [xx(]

good work though fella :thumbup:

2. jettadan Forum Member

ON - looks mint with it on.:thumbup:

3. Admin Guest

get rid of those wing mirrors. they are a crime.

4. alfie Forum Member

Tell me about it! They are an abomination! I can't even see out of them!

:thumbup: totally agree!

5. sidgolf Forum Member

i usually think stuff looks better if it's kept original but with your motor it def.looks better with the bodykit on to me.

6. alfie Forum Member

Depends how long the kits been on, also if you cant see any rust bubbling up from behind the kit then your probably ok. The only areas on my car I could actually see was coming through were on the front wings and when the kit came off there wasn't any more lurking underneath thankfully!. Fingers crossed for the other side tho

I totally agree, I love the look of the mk1 but for some reason this car just doesn't seem to work without the the kit on and i'm not sure why. I think it's probably down to the colour to be honest, the wheels don't help either.

7. alfie Forum Member

Last of the kit is off!

Ok peeps, last bit of the kit came off today, few spots on the rear arch but nothing serious which was lucky!

The whole kit was really well secured on, which was good in a way, but a real ***** to get off!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't realise until now that the bodykit has had some custom smoothing work done to it! Couldn't understand why, when pulling it from the car, it was cracking in the middle of the skirt, wasn't until I really yanked it that this happened! As with everything so far, looks like originally it wasn't a bad job, just wish the front wings had been better protected.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front wing is a "little" rusty but not as bad as the other side, which is odd, as this was the one that looked worse pre removal.

[​IMG]

rear arch and sill covered in gunk! This stuff is tough as hell!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About an hour later, using a hot air gun, a scraper and some 80 grit sand paper, I managed to get the rear arch and sill cleaned up a bit. Less the bodyshop has to do the better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rest of the sill looks nice and clean

[​IMG]

Small bit of welding required here but nothing major, could be a lot worse!

[​IMG]

The final result, nearly ready to hit the bodyshop!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. alfie Forum Member

Well since pulling the kit off the car progress has stopped on the golf completely! I had made an appointment to go see Steve Denton from StyleHaus to get a quote for the paint work, was looking forward to getting a date to finally have the ork done. However a few days before I was due to take it to Northampton my flat sold, not all bad news as I should be moving into my new place soon. Unfortunately this means that I won't be doing much to the golf any time soon!

Because I'm still in project mode but can't really do much I decided to have a little play around in photoshop to keep me happy, ended up working on this for a few hours:

[​IMG]

Pinned up on the wall at work to remind me that the extra hours i'm working will be worth it.. Eventually!

Alex

9. alfie Forum Member

*****I totally forgot about my thread here so here is a quick recap from my MK1 Golf owners club thread*****

Mk1OC thread

Ok so I decided that after moving house, getting engaged and changing jobs (twice), I would pop down to my mums house and have a quick look at the golf.

I had removed the body bodykit from the car last year and and left a fair bit of bare metal on the car. one of the jobs of my list was to get a coat of primer and paint over the rear arches to keep them from rusting so I thought i'd give that a go.

Took the wing off too see what was underneath.. Wow was I surprised! for a start it took me 20 minutes to get the wing off after the bolts were out (none of which were rusty) because it had been sealed to the car so well! What I found underneath was really surprising. No rust AT ALL, just a nice thick layer of sealant. Happy Days [:D]

[​IMG]

Same with the inside of the wing!

[​IMG]

Did a bit of Sanding

[​IMG]

Sprayed the rear arches with primer then after a few hours gave it a quick lik of paint...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Definitely not the amount of progress I would have liked to have achieved but progress none the less! Probably do the other side tomorrow...

Did a bit more work on the rear arches today, removed all the rubber sealant and sanded down to metal. Then gave it a nice lik of primer and paint. Still needs a bit of work but getting there.... If only veeeeeerrrry slowly!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New passenger side wing turned up, genuine wing straigt as an arrow and only 27 bargain!

Hopefully work will start to pick up as its off to the body shop soon!!!

[​IMG]

I've got both the drive shafts off at the moment for new boots and need to bleed the coolant system AND try and get the breaks to firm up a bit after the new callipers.

DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS SIDE WING!!!!!!

Then the dun dun dun...... EM. OH. TEA!!!

This weekend is gonna be a busy one as the wife to be is off on her hen doo, so I get the garage to myself for 2 days [:D] [:D]

Another small update for the never ending project. BUT a bit of a landmark at the same time.... Because its EM OH TEA time!!!

As usual.. on axle stands again, brakes bled, still pretty poor though brake performance considering it has new calipers and pads up front and a rear disk conversion. Will need to see what the brake test come back with on the MOT.

[​IMG]

Fitted the door handles and door pockets which finishes up the doors nicely. (almost)

[​IMG]

Fitted the new seat belts on both sides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other bits for the MOT:

• *Replaced inner and outer CV boots and rebuilt CV Joints
      *Replaced both steering rack boots
      *Refitted Grill, Lights and retro fitted/bodged the indicators on until the new bumper arrives. (I am amusing that I can get it MOT's without it's bumpers)
      *Fitted new wipers
      *Routed new washer jet hoses
      *Re-fitted dashboard and center console
      *Tested all lights, indicators, horn (had to hit it with a hammer to make it work)

So after buying the car back on the 15th of July, 2010 :redfaced: This will be a huge milestone in getting the car back on the road. If it passes its MOT then it'll be straight of to the Paintshop, Can't miss Edition 38 AGAIN this year!!!

It goes in on Monday so fingers crossed 8O

Any comments would be great!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  10. alfie Forum Member

**Below is the list of MOT failures and what I have done and yet to do!**

[strikethrough]Front Direction indicators obviously incorrectly positioned (1.4.2b)[/strikethrough]

[strikethrough]Front both Direction indicator insecure (1.4.A.2b)[/strikethrough]

[strikethrough]Front both Front constant velocity joint is insecure (2.5.C.1b)[/strikethrough]

[strikethrough]Front registration plate insecure (6.3.1b)[/strikethrough]

[strikethrough]Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)[/strikethrough]

[strikethrough]Front Windscreen wiper not operating automatically when switched on (8.2.1b)[/strikethrough]

[strikethrough]Nearside Rear Tyre not fitted in accordance with side wall instructions (4.1.D.1f)[/strikethrough]

[strikethrough]Offside Front Tyre not fitted in accordance with side wall instructions (4.1.D.1f)[/strikethrough]

[strikethrough]Front Drivers seat insecure (6.2.A.1)[/strikethrough]

Front passengers seat insecure (6.2.A.1) Got new clips for both seat but they are still not 100% still a little bit of movement from the inside runner

[strikethrough]Offside Front main beam Headlamp insecure (1.7.3)[/strikethrough]

Both Rear brake recording little or no effort (3.7.A.4a)

Front both Headlamp aim too high (1.8 ) need to get the garage to do this

Front side repeaters Direction indicator missing (1.4.A.2b) - either need to find some non cabby wings without the holes, get side repeaters :sick: or get the holes welded up. For now i'll probably put Duct tape over it so they can't see the hole :lol:

[​IMG]

Nearly road Legal, I've clamped the rear brake compensator toward the rear of the car but that doesn't seem to have helped, I've also put WD40 all over the front linkage but not sure this will help as the linkage is almost brand new!! Maybe have to leave it to a garage! :banghead:

11. alfie Forum Member

The old girl passed her MOT, wahoo!!! Managed to get her in on Friday and went straight through this time.

Next stop.. Paintshop!

Got fed up of looking at the different colored front wings so whilst I await the pro's at the bodyshop, I decided to give them a spruce up.

In primer

[​IMG]

1st coat of paint, will need a sand down and final coat to get a nice shiny finish on it but getting there..

[​IMG]

Finished painting the wing and fitted it to the car, it's by no means perfect but will do until the "real painters" get their hands on it :lol:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Starting to look like a real car [:D]

Alfie

12. alfie Forum Member

A small update from the paintshop - nothing major yet.

Still need to decide on a colour - please help http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=123359

(pics and poll above)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arch lip rolled under at the top but to keep the stock look they have let the lower/sides as normal which sounded like a good idea

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The old front panel

[​IMG]

Wings welded up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old Roller sat doing nothing lol

[​IMG]

13. themylward Forum Member

Great thread! Loving this mk1. The BBS kit makes it for me, I hope it is staying :thumbup:

I can't vote for colours in the other thread, but I would like to say here that the orange or yellow would be a mistake IMO. I would stick with the blue or change to the cream. They seem to suit a mk1 very well.

I can't wait to see the results.

14. alfie Forum Member

Cheers for the kind words and advice, it's been a long time coming (Since July 2010) so i'm litterally peeing my pants to get the car back now all painted. But even when it's got the paint on theres a lot to do as i'm stepping it up a gear when I rebuild it!

Not really sure what I'm going to do with the kit in the long run, but initially it will stay off and then I'll look at getting it painted up and trial fit it to see what it looks like.

15. alfie Forum Member

Not a huge update, but I finished stripping the car last week and pulled the engine and wiring loom out.

Please excuse the poor pics.

[​IMG]

Got the arches mocked up to mark out where to cut, I'll be using as little of the repair panel as possible as its only the edge of the arch that needs work. Bugs when I see people welding the entire panel in in one go...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roof's all done [:D]

[​IMG]

Rear engined 106!

[​IMG]

Riding a little low..lol

[​IMG]

Really hope to be getting some more pics and progress up soon...

16. alfie Forum Member

Another rather small update, the car is taking SO long to be done that I decided to start striping the engine back and give it a fresh lick of paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got these delivered yesterday, but annoyingly 2 of of the wheels where stacked on top of each other so it did a bit of grinding of the lip one one of the alloys.. not a huge issue as they came with a spare set of 1/2" lips, but went to put them away today and only noticed a big dent on the inside of the wheel! It's right on the inside lip, so hopefully I can get it fixed up by a wheel refurb place along with a few of the scrapes on the outer lips. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

[​IMG]

17. Joe16v Forum Member

Going to look great with those wheels on!

18. alfie Forum Member

Cheers, better than those piece of **** fox racing wheels....can't wait to get them on!

19. alfie Forum Member

Started to fully strip down the engine today and get all the parts off ready for either shot blasting and powder coating, or just a good old rub down and paint.. not sure which is the best way to go yet for the best finish.

Got most of the paint off the gearbox but still need to get into the corners and all the bits where the scraper won't fit, thinking of just using nitromors, and then a wire brush on a drill?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also found a guy in Northampton that for about 40 will take a box as full as you can get it, and zinc plate it. So I'm going to get most of the nuts and bolts re-done.

Especially as when I took out one of the water pipe bolts, I was left with this to deal with...

[​IMG]

Also despite my previous efforts of keeping my parents garage tidy (see page 1) my dad managed to fill it crap again, so I've done a deal that I will tidy it for them as long as I can use the whole garage just for my Golf until it's finished, then they can have it back lol..

BEFORE

[​IMG]

AFTER

[​IMG]

20. Mk2_Ozz Forum Member

Lovely mk1 you've got there! I personally love the look pf the bodykit, hope you keep it!

Your battle with the garage reminds me of my parents place, always sort it out when I go back home, each time its been filled back up! No matter what I say to them about garages being for cars, for them a garage is for keeping "STUFF" in!