87 mk2 1.6 bogs on quick accel from cold start

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by MexicanGringo, Jun 13, 2007.

1. MexicanGringo New Member

Hey Thanks for your time!

I have an 87 mk2 1.6 south african made golf containing a vw "KS2" carburetor, not the expected 2e2 carb detailed in the Haines manual. Im having a problem with the carb from cold start. If the accelerator is depressed sharply to give +- 2000rpm when accelerating from stop, the engine sounds like its about to stall, followed by a sudden rush of power. disengaging the pedal returns the idle but if the pedal is held further the car stalls.This doesnt happen if the pedal is slowly depressed. Ive checked the float & float valve which appear normal, jets appear unblocked. Not sure how to check float level tho. A larger bore exhaust system has been installed, could this be affecting it? Engine is also smoking when accelerated from stop where its been idleing for a while. Choke butterfly valve appears to be functioning normally. It seems the carb requires choking even once the engines warmed up to avoid the intiall stall shudder..Plugs are burnt black indicating rich mixture, this could be due to constant choking of the carb..

Any advice will be well welcome Thanks!

The Gringo

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Can you post any pictures of the carb? I can't seem to find anything about it. Is it an automatic choke, semi-automatic or manual choke? If it requires a coolant feed to the choke mechanism, you could be suffering the classic 'coolant-channel o-ring' problem, restrciting or completely blocking the heating effect of the coolant (sounds ironic, I know!).

This would lead to the choke flap being more closed than it should be, for much longer than it should be. See the latter part of the FAQ at the top of this section for info about the solution to this problem.

This is my best guess, pending further info about the carburettor.

3. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

The choke is easy enough to check - just make sure the flap's vertical when the car's warm. Although you do say that it seems to be functioning normally.

The smoke indicates running too rich as well as your plugs, maybe it just needs setting up? Try and get the exhaust gas analysed. Also, might be worth checking the air filter. I did wonder if it's something like the accelerator pump not working, leading to a far too lean mixture when your foot's pressed down initially. Do you know who makes the carb?

Graham

4. MexicanGringo New Member

The carb has the VW emblem on the side, as well as KS2 or it could be K82.. Choke is fully manual with the lever behind the steering wheel on the panel.. Ive checked float operation which seems normal, the float is in good condition and the valve appears the same.. Sorry dont have a dig camera on me! The carb has a protruding screw which i imagine controls idling, mixture or CO.. not sure.. Turning it however doesnt seem to affect idling speed or any other factor at idle.. Does the carb still have a coolant feed if its a manual choke? Air filter is in good condition and the problem appears even when the air filter is off completely.. How would i check for proper accel. pump operation?

Thanks a lot!

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

If it's a manual choke, it'll have a choke cable, as well as the throttle cable, and probably won't have a coolant feed, but possible for temperature control.