'88 Jade Green GTI

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by danj3000, Jan 5, 2009.

1. danj3000

danj3000 Forum Member

Evening all,

Thought I would introduce my car for you all - Heres a little bit of blurb for you to read.

Background.

I picked up my 8v just after christmas last year - having had two mk3 Fiestas I fancied a change and wanted to get a car i'd always admired from afar since being a wee nipper. This lead me onto a straight battle between a 205 Gti and a mk2 Golf Gti.
    I test drove a couple of each and it became pretty clear after just a few drives that the Golf was far more my cup of tea - also two of the 205s i'd seen had a nasty habit of dying and stalling which didn't impress me.
    So the obvious challenge was to find one in as good a nick as possible but not breaking the bank.
    My wish list was to get a small bumpered 3 door Golf in either 8v or 16v guise and as original as possible.
    My jade green Golf came up on autotrader a few days after christmas and to be honest i went to have a look at it because i was bored, not really expecting to fall in love with it!
    Also the day before i'd dragged my dad with me to come see an utter dog of a 16v in the next village and he wanted 750 for that so my hopes of finding one were waning.

Once turning up at the little car dealership my Golf i had a little nosey around and seemed to be in much better nick than the ad had stated.
    Off i went for a test drive and i knew i had to get this car, it was on for 690 with 11 months MOT and tax - Managed to get the final price down to 575 so was very pleased with that.
    The car was registered in september 1988 and was on an F plate, it was a 3 door 8v as well.

The car had 156,000 on the clock and had an amazingly comprehensive service history with all the old MOT's and receipts back to when it was new.
    So theres the little back story to me getting my Golf and now onto what I have done to it and future plans.

Whats I've Done.

After getting the car back home the first thing to sort out was the lack of any headunit and speakers!
    So a quick raid of ebay soon sorted that out. I was pleased with the Sony headunit i bought as well as it features a bluetooth handsfree feature which has been very useful.
    Next up was to replace the rear boot struts with some mk3 ones as the ones i had were showing their age and struggling to hold the boot up.
    After this was to replace the drivers side manual window regulator as the original one was stupidly stiff and was starting to scrap against the door card.
    When i took off the door cards they were suffering from some damp at the base so i thought it best to replace those, managed to pick up some replacements off ebay for 99p with speakers so a bit of a bargain there!

Once i had sorted that i wanted to get rid of the amber indicators and got smoked for both the front and side. I also invested in some half smoked later 16v rear lights too. Cosmetically the car was in very good nick for the age and there were only a couple of blemishes and rust i needed to sort.
    I had a bash at sorting the little surface rust around the fuel filler cap but unfortunately didn't even attempt to blend in so although its halted the rust it needs me to go back and sort out.

Mechanically the car was incredibly sorted and one thing i coulnd't quite understand was that the previous owner to me had spent over 600 on the car in october 2007 so they made a big loss when selling to me. All the better for my though as my first 7 months motoring were hassle free with no work to be done.

In the last few months I have had to:

Replace the gearlever ball as reverse and 1st were easy to mix up - also fitted a weighted
    gear shift rod

Replace the offside outer CV joint

Replace the front discs and pads

Give it a good service

New rear brake pipes due to corrosion

Two new front tyres and tracking

New centre silencer - The old silencer developed a hole the size of a fist and it sounded like
    a fighter plane!

Future Plans.

So its coming upto a year of me having the car and is still going strong as the odometer is coming upto 170,000. So it has been an incredibly enjoyable 14,000 miles of driving so far. I have just recently purchased an F reg 16v which i was intending to restore but unfortunately it is too far gone to save but this has meant that a few new toys can be put onto my 8v.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Thats a Nice clean standard Mk2 you've got there. Dont see many like that about. Rare Colour as well!!! :thumbup:

3. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Looks brilliant.

4. nealey Forum Junkie

Looks very tidy and original

5. danj3000

danj3000 Forum Member

thank you kindly for the comments :)

6. enc. Forum Member

Very Clean Dan looks like you got ya self a bargain :thumbup:

7. Nicko Forum Member

really miss my jade green GTI..
    looks awesome there

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^ never seen a jade green big bumper model.... ah just noticed the side trims.. aftermarket bumpers.

they both look ace

9. sjgreenaway Forum Member

that's right pukka is that. nice one mate

10. danj3000

danj3000 Forum Member

Thanks for the comments, are there many other people on the forum with a jade green gti?! would be interesting to see some pics.

11. phatphil Forum Member

tht is one very clean car. i'm really jealious!

12. muppet9966 Forum Member

Looking good,
    nice 'rare' colour by the way :lol: