'88 Oak Green, finally...

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by oldnick, Sep 19, 2021.

1. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

...getting something done with it.

I've had the car for about 20 years, ran it as a daily then the garage said I needed to either run it into the ground or restore it.

So into my then girlfriend's great uncle's barn, stripped it to a bare-ish shell... and split up with her.

Under the threat of it being destroyed I had it lifted the next day to a different farm where it sat on a pallet under a tarp, then a storage unit came free and in it went for many years, whilst life went on.

I met and married my wife, we bought a house and finally it was lifted again and put in the garage here [:D]

With a change of the meds I've been on for years I've found my mojo again, and finally work has started on the old girl.

Plan is to fix the shell up, tin worm has had a bit of a feast underneath but hopefully left something for me.

I have the running gear from a mk3 16v, so will use the subframe, gearbox, fuel tank, hubs etc.

Recently picked up some Polo 9N rear hubs and brakes, have some TT engine mounts to hang the engine off, a 20vt and various other bits and bobs that I've forgotten about.

Be warned Eddie, the stupid megasquirt questions will start coming through again too.

The car will end up small bumper (which it was originally), 5 stud widetrack on 15" wheels, not planning on a respray as I like it being a bit scruffy.

Pics to follow, when I can find the relevant hard drive.

costel1969, afbiker02 and dodgy like this.
  2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Oh, tuned in for more!

3. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

The latest is the car needs to get back on its wheels by Christmas so it can be moved to the new house we are trying to buy.

So, Polo 9N rear hubs, do I have to buy new ones to get new bearings, or can I press out the old, press in the new bearings? If yes, bearing recommendations please :)

Failing that I presume SKF hubs would be ok? www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-SKF-WHEEL-BEARING-KIT-HUB-REAR-LH-RH-VW-POLO-1-4-1-9-9N-1-2-1-9-/384421535387?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=CjwKCAjw5c6LBhBdEiwAP9ejG5E0992vrO5d1WfIh6vmyLBfMU2HCM8mAsb7yVcfCzIge3wmi9B9uBoCnTQQAvD_BwE

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    costel1969 likes this.
  4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

My hub I bought for the boys polo 9n3 had the bearing in it already, as did the 6n2 ones that I got for my mk2 with a rear 9n conversion.
    Can't remember the makes though, 9n3 was cheap and fast delivery as it was a quick fix but has been fine for the near 3 years we have had it. 6n2 (or ibiza 6k2) ones were dearer and was less choices. Depending on 5 or 4 stud as to which you need obviously.

Just saw you're 5 stud so 9n version.

MUSHY 16V likes this.