'88 White 5 door 8v.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Santiago Valenzuela Nuñez, Sep 27, 2023.

1. Santiago Valenzuela Nuñez New Member

I thought it wise I start a thread for my new toy. It should be useful in the future when I want to look back on my journey with it.

I resist calling this a build thread as there is very little to do and for this it won't have regular updates, so I apologise in advance for that.

2. Santiago Valenzuela Nuñez New Member

To start then I shall attempt to put some photos up.
    Later, all my questions will come....

3. Santiago Valenzuela Nuñez New Member

4. Santiago Valenzuela Nuñez New Member

[​IMG]

I think it's fair to say technology is not my strongest area.
    Why is there never a 10 year old child passing by when you need one?

I will have to just stick to links for now.

https://ibb.co/rwmyvdP

This then is the car back after paint correction. It had a damaged wing and all four corners of the bumpers were cracking up on the black part so that had to be put right.
    It has also been treated to new brake pads, some sort of engine support, maybe gearbox....see link https://ibb.co/pxpqqbf who knows and a CV joint.

I have yet to refurbish the wheels, fix a damaged driver's seat and tidy up the side skirts. Oh, and the parcel shelf has had some 6 x 9s installed so I need to look out for a new one of those (jajajajajajaja, I know, I know....not going to happen) at some point in the future

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
  5. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

There you go... have read (from RJ/Admin) that some hosting sites make life difficult if linking from them to forums, so don't be too harsh on yourself!

White Golf.jpg

6. Santiago Valenzuela Nuñez New Member

Thank you Sir, very friendly of you.

Ok then, bolstered from the kind encouragement let us try again.

[​IMG]

Fingers crossed.

Nope didn't work, even with the IMG brackets

https://ibb.co/jrQzgZX

Anyway, my first question. The car is currently standard ride height but used to be lowered as in the photo above. What amount would you say it had been lowered to as I wish to return it to this?
    Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
  7. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Once you get to 10 post you'll be able to post pictures without using a picture hosting site. Your mk2 looks very nice BTW

8. Santiago Valenzuela Nuñez New Member

Thank you, that's very nice of you to say.

I have more than ten now so I suppose admin must have to switch that función on or something like that.

9. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

10. Santiago Valenzuela Nuñez New Member

Thanks again for the help. I haven't retried posting a picture yet, maybe I should.
    Before I do, how much has it been lowered in that picture? 40mm?
    That is an older photo and it's standard height now but I want to re lower it again to that height.
    Any ideas?

11. Santiago Valenzuela Nuñez New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
  12. Santiago Valenzuela Nuñez New Member

Nice. Seems I have somehow managed to post a picture.
    Great stuff.

I would still like to know how much the car was lowered in one of the previous photos and also what I will need to achieve that again.
    Which is the best brand to use.

Thank you in advance for the help.

13. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Difficult to tell without a side on picture but it looks standard height to me. If you want to lower it, the easiest way will be to buy some lowering springs such as bilstein.

14. Santiago Valenzuela Nuñez New Member

Thank you for the reply.

There is a side on picture of when it was lowered. That's the height I want to recreate.

It's the photo Zender kindly posted.

Once I know the height and the go to people for the kit I can start the process.

15. PhilRyder

I don’t wish to be pedantic but this is a side view and the only way to properly see the ride height.
    IMG_0731.jpeg

16. Santiago Valenzuela Nuñez New Member

I don't see your response as pedantic at all, I thank you for taking the time to respond.

Then may I ask, by how much would you say the car in the above foto (the very nice red car) has been lowered and what is the best quality kit to achieve that result?

I'm sorry to ask instead of searching but I can't afford to get this wrong via trial and error as here it is not just a case of bolting on the parts.

It's an expensive process involving drawing up a project with a vehicle architect (although some suspension providers have these preprepared already, for a fee of course), then a recognised workshop needs to install and produce a document declaring the work has been done correctly and is safe and then it still has to go for technical inspection. If then it passes this the work will be added to the technical document that has to accompany the car at all times and has to be presented when it goes for it's anual "mot".

As you can see, I need to get this right first time.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
  17. PhilRyder

The above car started as a standard 1.3 Ryder. Therefore it had a higher ride height than a standard GTi. The suspension used was a Bilstein B4 kit with 30mm lowering springs. However, this brings it down to GTi 16v level, I believe. I am sure someone will be able to confirm this.
    IMG_1980.jpeg
    Which country are you in?

18. Santiago Valenzuela Nuñez New Member

Thank you for the reply. I just want a subtle lowered look that rides well. Just like it was before in the semi-side on foto.

I am in a vibrant village called Honey Creek in southern Spain.