'89 8 valve whining noises

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by KenBarlow, Apr 16, 2012.

1. KenBarlow Forum Member

Hi everyone, quite new to the forum been noseying around for a while lol
    I've recently become the owner of my first VW Golf Gti, bought from another user of the forum. It's an 8valve, Jade green, 3 door on a G plate with lots of history and receipts. I also own an '89 Polo saloon and I've done all the work on that myself including rebuilding the head. I'm by no means a mechanic, but enjoy working on my own cars. (Even if it sometimes can be a struggle lol)

I've had a search but cant really find what I need as I need a more definitive diagnosis.
    Here's a brief description:

The gearbox whines underload. (lift off the gas, noise goes away)
    The clutch "bite" is very high and seems a little "sticky?"
    When the clutch is engaged but not in gear, you can hear like a scrapey/chattery noise.
    Coming to a stop, (NOT brakes) dipped clutch, it makes another sort of scrapey/chattery noise but stops when I stop. Almost sounds like something scraping on the driveshaft noise (checked for any signs of scoring/scrapes found nothing)

I'm thinking thrust release bearing, but would that make the whine aswell?
    The changes them-self are fairly smooth, 1st can sometimes take some persuasion but not worrying amount.

I'm afraid I haven't found the gearbox code yet so not sure what box is fitted.

Hopefully someone else can give me an idea of what it could be so I can sort it as I'm secretly beginning to worry a little bit as the polo is in bits and this is my current daily..

2. KenBarlow Forum Member

***Just noticed the thread title! Was meant to say "whiney noises"