'89 g60 to vr6t project

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by moorin, May 17, 2014.

1. moorin Forum Member

Bit of a milestone for the car yesterday, I finished fitting the subframe, crossmember and suspension and towed it back up the garden to its new "home" a 3mx6m car port. But before I tucked it away I gave it a good wash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

notenoughtime likes this.
  2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Lovely isn't it nice when it's rolling again!

3. moorin Forum Member

So true mate if it had a drivers seat I would of sat in it and made car noises haha!

4. Collie Forum Junkie

what volvo is the turbo from?looks big enough for a fl6

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  5. moorin Forum Member

I think it's off a FH12 although could be wrong haha

So after fitting my be front brakes I realised 15's weren't going to clear at all so swapped the gottis for some 16" schmidts which I have now split down. Fronts were 8's and rears are 8.5's so rebuilding the 8.5's and buying 3.5" lips for the 8's. Got some gold spike bolts and flat caps coming for them too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after a good polish up with meguiars all metal polish:

[​IMG]

6. moorin Forum Member

Well it's been a while since I last posted, mainly due to saving up again to buy more parts.

The schmidts were sold and some 16" BBS RS faces, waffles, nuts, bolts, centre caps and hex's were bought, they are 5x114.3 so will need plugging and redrilling to 4x100.

[​IMG]

I then tested them on the wilwood 6 pots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since last time I also bought my PnP lugtronic management and 830cc injectors

[​IMG]

Then I have slowly been buying parts to finish the engine and gearbox so that includes a TT 2mm oversized valve kit, new lifters and I'm looking at DRC 268 cams.

I then found on Facebook a kamei bonnet scoop and hella spoiler going cheap so jumped on them and found Julien, a guy in France making fibreglass wide arches which will enable me to run 10j all round with low offsets and meaty tyres

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also bought an OBP pedal box so I need to weld up the master cylinder and clutch master holes in the firewall.

Can't think of anything else but more proper progress shots coming soon!

7. TUBDUB Forum Member

Project is looking serious :thumbup: Have you got any better pictures of teh wide arches? pretty damn intrigued??

8. moorin Forum Member

I'm sorry mate but I haven't got any more pictures, I haven't even unwrapped them yet.

If you go to www.ninety-parts.com all the info is there and that is where you can buy them from. The guy is called Julien he's French and the arches are basically exact replicas of the voomeran arches.

Cheers

9. TUBDUB Forum Member

Awesome fella, there the ones i want and the price is much more attractive :thumbup:

10. moorin Forum Member

Well today I didn't do a great deal as my arm is still recovering but I welded my turbo oil return bung onto my sump and give it a lick of paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. moorin Forum Member

Not really a great update but I'm currently spraying up lots of parts and also these arrived so I can finish building my engine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a 2mm TT big valve kit, under drive pulley setup and some DRC 268 cams

Also bought this so I can ditch the brake servo and clutch master cylinder

[​IMG]

12. Break Forum Member

This thread is serious!

love the work so far, cant wait to see it come together.

13. moorin Forum Member

Thanks mate stuff is starting to get going again,

Finished painting up a few pieces today but lots more to go....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. moorin Forum Member

Started building the engine up again today, got the oil pump bolted up and sump on and then built up the crank and flywheel ends of the engine.

I then finished off with the accessory bracket and water pump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. moorin Forum Member

Well I didn't get any pictures but my cylinder head is away at the machine shop getting the new seats and big valve head kit installed, they have also taken the 02m diff to drill the rivets out the crown wheel and also reinforce the shift forks.

I have ordered a wavetrac diff with ARP hardware from my good friend Matt at onlychargeddubs so will get pictures on the rebuild.

1990 likes this.
  16. moorin Forum Member

Last few days I had been thinking long and hard over the engine bay and whether I had done the best job I could of done and the answer was no lol

So with that I have decided to flat back the bed liner and spray it properly with the new car colour, but since I was starting to put a lot of effort back into the engine bay things spiralled and so I have now been welding up all the holes on the firewall including the heater box, brake servo etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Progress is slow but I feel as if the engine bay deserves some colour and I will feel better every time I open the bonnet :)

17. moorin Forum Member

Got the bay grinded down and first lot of filler laid down, sanded and quickly etch primed so I can see what else needs doing, been a productive few days but a long way to go yet

[​IMG]

Came home to find these though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Schimmel oil filter housing so I only get clean oil to the turbo and can use spin on filters along with their short runner ht leads

18. moorin Forum Member

Only a little update I'm afraid, got most of the engine bay in high build primer but finished late and the lighting Is rubbish for a picture.

My dutchbuild front engine mount arrived today and very pleased with it.

[​IMG]

19. moorin Forum Member

Bit of a late update but I have taken the plunge and I'm going to be fitting a complete haldex conversion into the car.

I have bought the complete running gear out of an Audi s3 and will hopefully be collecting a shortened haldex rear cradle which is fully polybushed and the correct width for a mk2

[​IMG]

Also sprayed the bay in a coat of high build primer ready to work on it again on Wednesday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. moorin Forum Member

Finished sanding back the bed liner and sprayed all the engine bay in two coats of high build primer, a little more sanding and one more coat it should be ready for colour

[​IMG]