'89 Mk2 16v sudden transmission noise

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Pecker, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Pecker Forum Member

This started suddenly yesterday.

The noise is a graunchy grating noise very similar to that if you accidentally engage a starter motor with the engine running.

But it only happens 1) once the car's warmed up, and 2) as you throttle off to slow down. Depressing the clutch stops the noise, but you can feel vibration travelling through the pedal. Release bearing is quiet and seems fine.

Got all the gears, no slip, bit of judder, but that's been there since it had a new clutch 3 years and 18k ago. It's a little wet around the n/s inner CV where it exits the diff, but that's minor and I think's been there a while.

It's a nasty noise. Not inclined to drive it as is.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers

Gaz

2. MUSH Forum Member

first thing check oil level.

3. mattkh Forum Member

Hi

Lie underneath the car and locate a crescent shaped metal cover at the bottom of the bell housing. Just two bolts to remove. Slide the plate off.
    See if any bits of metal fall out.

4. Pecker Forum Member

Righty ho, jobs for the morning, cheers guys:thumbup:

Gaz

5. Pecker Forum Member

Oil level's fine and the oil's good.

My cover plate has two 11mm bolts....and then goes under the 17mm at the front (starter motor/front mount) and 19mm at the back. I removed the 19mm and slackened the 17mm, but it didn't free the plate[:s]

I could lever the plate a little, just enough to not quite see enough[8(]

Gaz

6. DuBDuDe Forum Member

This sounds like my probem at the moment. It's more prominent as you come off the throttle right? Like a bearing has gone? like a notched whirring grating noise?

My clutch action is fine. No judder but i can feel the vibration quite badly and hear is quite loudly too.

My oil level is fine. Maybe we can help eachother on this one.

7. Pecker Forum Member

Yup, that's exactly it Mark[8(]

A mate at work who's an ex plant fitter asked if the input shaft sat in a bearing in the end of the crank - I have no idea[:s] but I see what he's getting at.

It's really hard to fathom that it only arrives on overrun without having touched anything apart from throttling off.

I've run out of time, not that I've really done much, so we've had to book it in and it's going to the doctors on Wednesday - will let you know how we get on. Car's on it's final warning in relation to expensive repairs though[xx(]

Gaz

8. DuBDuDe Forum Member

Well ive got a spare gearbox sat waiting in the wings. if something goes bang it will be new clutch and replacement gb. But yeah let me know what the verdict is mate. Would be nice. thnx.

9. Pecker Forum Member

Mark

Clutch was cream crackered. Significant wear:

[​IMG]

All the tension had gone on the springs and the shiny bit was where the noise came from - rubbing on the gearbox apparently[:s] [8(] - which I don't completely understand I must confess:

[​IMG]

Clutch gave up the ghost as the garage took it out for a test drive and they had to push it back.

Just checked on the last invoice and this clutch lasted 19,000 miles. Mostly town work, but I don't think that was very good.

Hope that helps.

Gaz

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  10. MUSH Forum Member

wow thats worn! did it not start slipping/juddering? most let you know they are going before they go. Good to hear it wasnt your box though, make sure you get a good sachs/LUK clutch, will march on for many a year longer than that.

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Good effort :thumbup:
    As said luke or sacks for the new one :)

12. DuBDuDe Forum Member

Maybe ill have my gearbox out this weekend and have a look then. Mine sounds terminal though. Proper chattering coming from my gearbox area. Going to put a spare box in while i have my 8v box rebuilt. I need my box rebuilt anyway because once the 2L 16v goes in it will tear an old box to pieces in no time at all.

13. transitman Forum Member

Could it possibly be a Clutch release bearing? Does it do it when car is stationary?

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

The way I understand it is if there is a rattle when the pedal is pressed its the release bearing, and if the noise happens when the pedal is released then its an internal box bearing?

15. DuBDuDe Forum Member

Doesn't do it at stand still. Not the release bearing i dont think. The noise is always there when moving either when in gear coasting or coasting in neutral. the only time it can''t be heard is when accelerating. The noise actually does get slightly quieter when you disengage the clutch(depress it).

Going to get my box rebuilt anyway so its good for when i put 175 odd bhp through it. Will put a new clutch on and my brothers spare box while mine in being rebuilt i think. Then do the engine change later in the summer. Thats the plan anyway.