'89 PB 8v Service Help

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Genome, Nov 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Genome

Genome Forum Member

Right,

Finally managed to get my car started after about 2 years. Won't go into too many details, but after university and a load of personal problems I've started working on my car again.

So far I've done the following:

• Removed botched Clifford Alarm Install
    • Crimped up dodgy wiring and reconnected everything
    • Fitted a new Dizzy Cap that I had lying around
    • Fitted new ignition coil

So now, joy of joys - my car starts with a KEY! I used to have to start it with a screwdriver due to a monkey installing my alarm. That aside:-

The engine sounds a bit tappety but I expected that - I've recruited a friend to assist me with that in due course - I just need help on what I should service to get it running sweet again.

Currently my water light stays on, I've got a feeling that the thermostat has gone or the radiator is goosed. Not sure.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what my next steps should be servicing wise, after 2 years I'm assuming its going to be quite a lot?

:thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Oil/filter change, fuel filter, air filter (on condition), plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm.

New/freshly charged battery. Check all your earths for condition, and re-new/clean as necessary.

Gearbox oil change. Check CV and steering arm boots for condition.

New stat and housing. Coolant flush and replace with G12+.

Water light staying on is probably the sensor going down having stood for so long. New one is cheap enough (beyond that plenty of info here on other causes.)

Hope that helps, and I`m sure others will chip in ideas too. :thumbup:

3. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

you might want to chuck an injector cleaner through it aswell, a mate of mine had a bit of jip with his after a bit of long standing without use and he flushed out the old petrol, put a cleaner in and topped it up with some 99 ron fuel and boom.

4. Genome

Genome Forum Member

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me why the hell this wire has been cut from my alternator?

5. Drew21 Forum Member

I think that is the wire to the alt supressor, which is the red box thing in your photie. Car should run fine with or without the alt supressor but I guess it's there for a reason.

Does that red box have a wire coming from it, it should have a single wire going to a male spade terminal on the back of the alt.

6. Genome

Genome Forum Member

^ Yeah, the red box does have a wire coming from it, bloody spiked my finger on the thing! Do i need to bother reconnecting it?

Also, doing alternator belt on Saturday if weather plays ball. Mine has got a bit of a wobble going on, so I thought a new one couldnt hurt as they are cheap.

Anything I need to look out for? I'm assuming its just a case of loosening the bolt on the pulley etc?

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

white wire looks liek a bodged addition, perhaps fit was fitted to a diesel way back? red thing should have a wire hanging off it to a spade labled b+ iirc

8. Drew21 Forum Member

just pop down the breakers and get a new one (well not new obviously). Can't imagine there's much difference between different ones, esp if you find a Bosch alt

on other stuff, I'd do a full fluids change, so oil, coolant (using VAG stuff), brake fluid. No hurry though, especially if it's running well already. I've just picked up a mk2 and I didn't get around to the coolant change before winter so I think I'll leave it until it's a bit warmer

water light can mean low coolant level, or it can mean not enough antifreeze in the coolant (or am I getting confused with E30 BMWs here?)

the tappet tapping may go after being driven for a while, changing the oil may speed this up but I doubt it'll have much effect either way