8V cam choices........

Discussion in '8-valve' started by timo16v, Aug 23, 2011.

1. timo16v

timo16v Paid Member Paid Member

..Hi guys....currently running a TSR 272 cam in my TSR Brands Hatch 2.0 8V and fancy a little more ooomph than 138bhp and 147lbsft.......its more of a weekend / track car and i plan on going hillclimbing/sprinting next year when fully sorted so lumpiness not an issue..running G60 injectors with a BV hydraulic head....now what would be the limit duration wise?....285?....294?

What sort of power band would these 2 choices give me along with BHP/Torque increase?

I gather a remap would also be in order to sort extra fuelling or just a pressure increase?

:)

thanks in anticipation

Tim

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Remaps do not exist for K-Jet.

This thread has parallels with a previous thread about 16v cams.

Have you considered the improvement to the volume under curve which coud be achieved with a standalone ECU?

3. timo16v

Sorry Chris...i should clarify....its a digi and has been mapped to current spec by Vince @ Stealth
    :thumbup:

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ok, sorry that changes the answer! Incremental gains with Standalone over Digi?

5. timo16v

Thats what i am looking for Chris yes......gains expected for these cam durations on digi and standalone without having to increase rev limit from 6750...IE...how lairy can i go on the hydro head if low down driveability is not a major factor?

Do comparison increases of aftermarket vs digi outweigh the cost to change and map ?

Does that make sense?

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Its been "mapped" for fuel mixture that is it!

You may find some "digi 2" cars already have acceptable fuel mixture.

You can achieve more by both spark and fuel optimisation. This is where a SEM system i.e. DTA, Emerald etc can be beneficial.

A SEM will improve response to the upper mapped limit, creating a proper custom calibration.

A bigger cam is a crude way to increase the BHP numbers over your last visit and most likely an engine with less torque and an even more mis-matched ECU calibration.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

you can run a solid lifter cam in a hydraulic casting. Assuming its the 'right' cam/lifter setup
    This is from experience, not heresay.

8. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

A 280/285 degree cam will work well but you'll need a c.r increase to 11/11.25:1.

To run a 290/295 cam you'll need around a 11.75 c.r and into the unreliable zone of std cast pistons.

I reckon yr current peak power is around 5,300-5,500...a 280/285 cam will peak around 5,600-5,700...so no need to raise the rev limit.

9. mec82 Forum Member

This is something that interest me as well as I've a similar setup to the OP, ABF would be easier but thats just not cricket!

Raising compression to 11/11.25, can this be done removing material from head alone? If so does is this detrimental to the squish area etc.?

I see the Op has big valve head but would there be worthwhile benefits on a ported std valve head? Presumably as you move the powerband upwards any potential benfits could be limited by the intake flow?

cheers

10. timo16v

Great stuff Jason.....so if i am at standard CR how much off head will give me 11.25:1??

Oh I advanced cam as you suggested after my previous thread and bhp remained unchanged and i "found" another 7lbsft :thumbup:

So..a TSR203 cam (284) would be ok?......will tweek in pressure cover the extra fuelling needs or mapping of fuel required again?

Just weighing up the old cost vs bhp ratio you know

Thanks

11. timo16v

..hmmm interesting....so just change lifters..and fit extra cam cap?

12. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Do you know for sure..100% that the current c.r is the std 10:1?

A std head on a 2ltr will have a higher c.r to start with, and normally the head and possibly the block will have been skimmed, plus, there's piston bowl variations and the same with gaskets...So its possible you could already be at or close to 11:1.

That's quite often the case..it depends on how much advanced it now is..advanced from a previously retarded, zero or already advanced position. .But 7ibft is'nt to be sniffed at..well done.

13. Toyotec

The std compression on a 2E/3A base engine is ~10.5:1. This may increase to 10.8:1 with the addition of a "PB" type cylinder head.
    One may find an increase cranking effort as the cylinder pressure is higher on such an engine. This is why a gear reduction starter ( Mk3 1.8-2.0 8v for 020 gearbox) is recommended for this type of conversion.

14. timo16v

..not sure on that fella......its a 1.8 block still that is bored/stroked at TSR to achieve 2.0 so not sure what effect that would have on c/r??....i only assume standard ish with a resurface skim to head and block maybe?

sorry its not science

15. Toyotec

Could not just simply ask TSR then?

16. timo16v

i will pose the question to them to confirm where we at:thumbup:

17. timo16v

...so

what can be expected from a 285 in my current set up then once c/r is set to 11.25:1?

fuel remap or just tweek of pressure to accomodate?

any dyno graphs anyone can provide?

have searched but very difficult to narrow down to exact spec and preferably on stealths rollers for true comparison[:s]

just seems slightly mismatched in that people have got good results from 1.8s with p+p heads on standard valves with 272 cams .......with cc increase and enlarged valves it seems a lairier cam would be better suited to make most of breathing whilst the cc increase retains a good torque spread??

thanks guys

18. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Mech cam and mech lifters needed, unfortunately. Something to do with the opening ramp shape difference, I'm told.

19. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I think all the 2ltrs are ment to be the same Ed..but good job i checked the bowl size in the ABK (audi 100) block we used in my friends conversion a couple years ago as the measured size was less than the listed spec. I think Danny (danster) has found similar on 1600's before.

Should be ok on std starters..I still have the original on mine cranking over 13:1. I've found some poor aftermarket starters of late tho on other cars.

20. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

In general its not gunna be a night and day difference. .4-5hp peak, plus hang on longer after peak before falling away. Low and mid range should be fine as long as you get the c.r right.

My friends 2ltr pulls very strong right through with a 284 degree cam...in fact it flys..on 11.25:1. That's on k-jet mind. We must time up the cam one day!