8v (DX) Block transformed to a 16v (9a) - possible?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by MrP, Oct 28, 2020.

1. MrP

MrP Paid Member Paid Member

I'm looking for further information to see if it's truly possible to make a 8v block, 16v.

For context, It's a MK1 Golf Rivage with the original DX engine. I want to retain the matching numbers on the car. I have a 9a engine for the conversion.

I've searched and most threads essentially say it might be possible, but not worth the effort and stick the 16v engine in.

From what I understand, the 9a parts (crank, pistons, rods etc) will fit into the DX block with some machining (trimming down around cylinder 3 and 4 and also the intermediate shaft gear to approx 5mm in width on No. 4).

Both 9a and DX can be bored to 84mm max so my planned oversized pistons shouldn't be an issue.

But the 8v block is missing the oil breather & oil squirters. Can these be overcome and is there anything else I need to consider?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah pretty much answer is yes you can, but its really not worth the effort. can drill and tap oil squirters, can fit a breather to the oil cap, can bore and mod block etc. but since you need a donor block to get all of the parts to convert an 8v, may as well just use the block as well

3. Golf mk9 Paid Member Paid Member

Just keep the original engine untouched and stick it away safely and fit 16v engine complete saves ton of work, anyone wanting matching number car is going to wonder why it has a 16v head anyway but if you keep the original engine it can be reverted back if you plan to sell it ( if you mod the block to accept 16v head then it can never be turn back to stock)

4. MrP

MrP Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks chaps, I had come to the same conclusion myself over the past few days.

I'll leave the original long block, tucked away and crack on with the 9a.