8v gti exhausts

Discussion in '8-valve' started by RichardDarrenB, Jun 16, 2023.

1. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

The exhaust on my MK2 is looking past its best and blowing in places so after a new one. Have looked at a stainless replacement and narrowed it down to either a jetex or milltek classic downpipe back system.

There's a couple of things putting me off either one - jetex has non standard pipes and the milltek is £££££££

Anyone have experience/input on either to help me decide?

I suppose the over arching question is do OE style tailpipes justify an extra £370 quid ish.....

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I purchased a Jetex system for my old 16V and never had an issue with it - would definitely recommend them.

RichardDarrenB likes this.
  3. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I had a Jetex on a 8v PB GTi and I really liked it, looked good and sounded nice. I thought VWheritage sold stainless steel exhaust sections, they certainly sold OE looking stainless steel rear silencers for both 8v and 16v.

4. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I cant see any pics anywhere of the jetex system on a small bumper GTI, the images are all on a big bumper car. Kinda worried the tailpipes will stick out too far, the milltek back box has tailpipe trims that slide on and car be positioned depending on small or big bumper application

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I had the Jetex 2.5" on my old mk2 16v big bumper, the rear box is massive and weighs a ton.

Also if you have non standard ARB the exhaust will hit on it, unless you press a crease in the rear box - ideal when you've just spent (well when I got mine) £300 on an exhaust!

6. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Agreed. I had a Jetex on mine and the back box hit the rear beam. I got fed-up of the banging and made a shorter rear hanger to stop it banging. Quite noisy at certain frequencies "fruity" I think @Sharknose called it. I sold in preference to an OEM style one, make unknown. Still quite intrusive at certain revs.
    Keep an eye on evilbay for secondhand ones since they are expensive new.

7. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

This'll not be much use to you if you're intent on stainless, but in case you're wavering... I was in the same boat, would've probably gone for the expensive option if I could've found something that had the look I was after, but (2 years ago) there was nothing out there that I could find regardless of cost.

Went for the Bosal set up below, partly through good experience of the brand / genuine quality, but because I'm shallow and it fitted in with my recollection of the OE one from when I had new GTI's, both in looks and as it turned out sound.

... and it is a lovely sound, really nice subdued burble standing behind the car, but on the whole inaudible from the inside 'tll you give it some and the memories come flooding back!

bosal.JPG bosal1.JPG bosal2.JPG bosal3.JPG bosal4.JPG

8. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Funny you should say that as my backup plan was a Bosal system for the same reason you set out. The back box on mine is OK, it's just the middle and front? Silencers that have had it. Looks like a quality system if your images are anything to go by.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
  9. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

@Zender Z20 your car is a later spec 8v, right? By any chance did you take a picture of the Bosal part code on the middle box (directly after the back box) as good old autodoc is about as clear as mud when working out which one for my car. If you have the 233-### number that would help massively. Cheers

Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
  10. Zender Z20

Yup... mines a PB.

Check out Bosals Tecalliance e-catalogue, gives a break down of the various sections / full system.

Guessing yours is an EV? If so I think the back box is the same on both but the front and mid sections'll be different to what you see in my images.

https://web.tecalliance.net/bosal/e...d:100004;targetId:1654;typeNumber:1654;page:0

EV / GZ below, similar image for the PB via the above link if needed -

[​IMG]

11. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for that, very helpful.

Mines an 89 PB so by my reckoning I need the below:
    Screenshot_20230618_215304_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20230618_215251_Samsung Internet.jpg

12. Zender Z20

According to Bosal this is the full PB system, unfortunately I can't tell you what the sticker on my own is now, it's well burned off... those images are from about 18 months ago before the car was back on the road.

[​IMG]

13. Zender Z20

I got mine via Autodoc, worked out very reasonable on a big discount day.

Double check they don't have a surcharge for outsized items though, have noticed that being added recently whereas it didn't apply back then.

Get the little rubber buffer at 255-808 while your at it, just a few quid and stops the box banging against the floor pan.

14. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Part numbers look as I thought, cheers. Front pipe is out of stock at the mo, will keep an eye on it and see when they get more in

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023