8v head vs 8v cross flow head.

Discussion in '8-valve' started by CA121, Feb 27, 2008.

1. CA121 Forum Member

Hi. could anyone advise me on the pro's and cons of using a newer 8v cross flow head as opposed to the older MK1/ MK2 heads.
    will they fit a 2E bottom end?
    many thanks

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

They can be made to fit, but they don't fit properly without machining on the head face, I believe.

VR6Will did one

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Will is the expert on these,

I dont think that there is any power gains to had from the head other than its easier for a TB or carb conversion.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

In theory it should make more power, as the inlet gases won't be so overheated by the exhaust ports & manifold... the ports are also less restricted in shape.

In practice... not enough people have done it to be sure.

Will built a really high spec engine, but didn't push the compression ratio enough to make the power he wanted... got 170ish bhp and about the same lbft torque. With 12.5 or 13:1 compression it could have been more, but you have to match the CR to the cams.

With a 300 degree cam, big valves, good porting, and a big squeeze, you should get close to 200bhp. No use in a road car though. You'll need to spin it pretty fast to get the power though, with a lairy cam, so the bottom end needs to be balanced and properly sorted.

At the end of the day, it'll be easier to make the same power from a 2.0 16v or a 1.8T, as you've got more valve area.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  5. fthaimike Forum Addict

I saw an article on here once that i think Chris Eyre posted up with a 16v head on an 8v block......

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

........... for a turbo conversion????? usually gives low compression ideal for a turbo

7. H5LRW Forum Member

There's an oil way that has to be drilled slightly and its a relativley simple swap.

8. VR6Will Forum Member

like for like the x-flow head should flow better than the counter flow head. 7mm valve stems for starters help matters

mine needed plenty more mapping and higher compression to achieve what i was after!

they fit pretty easy