8v PB exhaust manifold swap

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Bomber604, May 12, 2010.

1. Bomber604

Bomber604 Forum Member

Is it possible to remove & refit the standard exhaust manifold on a MK2 8v Digi from underneath without taking the engine out or having to remove the inlet manifold & associated gubbins?

Any advice gratefully received :thumbup:

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

you can remove the manifold easy enough, its the down pipe that is almost impossible to remove.

it is easier with the inlet manifold off.

3. chrismc Forum Junkie

The downpipe is do-able with a load of wobbly sockets & extension bars from under the car....

Best soaking the 6 downpipe to manifold bolts in some kind of penetrating oil first if you can;)

4. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Yeah, with chrismc on this. Very do-able. Done it a couple of times. Biggest problem I found was that the manifold nuts themselves were coroded.

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

undoing the down pipe, i agree, changing the down pipe is near impossible with dropping the subframe

6. Bomber604

Bomber604 Forum Member

I'm just hoping to swap out the manifold for one I've had cleaned up so no need to completely remove the down pipe.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  7. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I have had to change the exhaust manifold gasket a couple of times, so what you want to do is definitely on.

As i said before. It was the nuts on the manifold to head studs that were very difficult to get off, so corroded.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

you wont need to remove the down pipe completely just undo it at both ends and move it out of the way.

9. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I'd say remove the inlet manifold and do the exhaust mani from above, got to be easier than doing it from below.

The exhaust to manifold nuts can be heavily corroded, gsf replaced mine with bmw nuts iirc (copper coated steel as they were magnetic). They are also a ***** to get to without thin extensions and universal joints.