8v with twin 40s

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by mk1re2000, Sep 11, 2006.

1. mk1re2000 New Member

Hi guys I am currently running and 2l re edition 8v engine. I have a set of Webber twin 40s and ported and polished cylinder head and inlet manifold to go with it. What I wanted to know was if there is any point in putting this onto the block I have. Will it give noticeably power output? If so I just wanted to know what other parts I will need. I know I will need a fuel regulator but not sure what other bits are required. If anyone can help it would be most appreciated.

2. 88Clipper Forum Member

If I remember correctly from a previous post, adding twin carbs to an 8v doesnt have much impact. It's to do with the Exhaust exiting directly beneath it meaning that the carbs would only suck in hot air.

The colder the air, the denser the air, the bigger the bang!

Hope this helps. :)

Hayden

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

A friend of mine has carbs on an 8v which proved a good gain in power. whilst putting th ecarbs on tho he had a aluminium heat shield made that attaches to the bottom studs on the inlet manifold, this keeps some of the heat away from the carbs.

i agree the heat from the exhaust is a problem, but it wouldnt put me off, i seem to remember a mk1 8v running carbs that produced very good power. 150 ish maybe im mistaken

4. 88Clipper Forum Member

Good idea the heat shield! Maybe a vent stamped in the back of the bonnet focusing the air on the trumpets would be an idea as well.

Oh actually hang on! Havin said that, if it rains the water wud get sucked into the trumpets. [:s] Doh!!!

5. ViCk Forum Member

If you use an 8v 'cross flow head', the inlet ports will be at the front as supposed to the back of the head.

6. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor