8v with twin 40s

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mk1re2000, Sep 11, 2006.

1. mk1re2000 New Member

Hi guys I am currently running and 2l re edition 8v engine. I have a set of Webber twin 40s and ported and polished cylinder head and inlet manifold to go with it. What I wanted to know was if there is any point in putting this onto the block I have. Will it give noticeably power output? If so I just wanted to know what other parts I will need. I know I will need a fuel regulator but not sure what other bits are required. If anyone can help it would be most appreciated.

2. fish and chips New Member

dont know if i am rite or not but i have been told that on the 8v the carbs sit at the back of the engin, therefor not getting enough air and the air being hot resulting in choking them i could be wrong? where did u get ur carb kit from coz i am also looking?

3. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Linkage kit, banjo's, misab's, horns, filters and twin cable.
    From what i understood this will give you an increase in power, but because they sit directly above the exhaust manifold the gain is not as good as it would be on a x-flow.
    However, with the flowed head and inlet you should get more power and heaps of torque, especially if you get a cam.
    Depends if you feel like spending what will be about 150-200 on parts, then another chunk on getting them set up properly.

4. mk1re2000 New Member

yeah they sit above the exhaust manifold but i was gonna make up a heat sheild then was thinking of running some sort of ducking from the front grill area to the carbs. i don't mind spending the money on the extra bits needed as i just found out i'll have to spend abut 250 on sorting out my crankshaft and piston rings anyway. i have a schrick cam but not sure what degree as it came with the previous engine i bought.

5. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

The heat is'nt as much of a problem as you'd think. I have a stainless heat shield between my carbs and manifold but never really had a problem before i fitted it. Is it in a MK1 ? You could always cut a hole in the bulkhead panel (or cut away the panel compleatly) to feed air to them via the grill slots in the bonnet.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

If it's a road car I'd fit the head but not the carbs...but a 2L needs bigger exhaust valves to get the best out of it. then flog the carbs and spend the money on a cam.

For a competition car the carbs will be less of a pain...no boiling the fuel in traffic jams.

When you say you've got an RE engine... do you mean a GTI engineering one? If so, it's probably got a modded head and cam in it already...

7. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I must admit, i'd never recommend carbs for a pure road use engine, once yr at the stage of the standard injetion running out of puff it's usually time to re-consider yr options.