'90 2l 16v(ABF) mk2 (restoration page9, going megasquirt), mk5 ed30

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by beetie, Apr 7, 2007.

1. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Yeah same colour, metallic black, LA9V
    NOT Oak Green[emoji3]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  2. beetie

beetie Forum Member

PAS Rack u bracket plated along with the last wishbone bolt.
    Then put on the subframe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to finish the engine mount bolts that I have cleaned up earlier and order some more nuts and bits from vw.

3. beetie

beetie Forum Member

4. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Went down to vw this morning for some more bolts, nuts and rear axle Bushes.
    Got most of the bolts but the main part, the Bushes are no longer available[emoji31]

So please-Genuine rear axle beam Bushes needed or recommendations.

I don't want polys

5. murph81 Forum Member

Would Mk3 or Caddy van bushes be the same?
    Lemforder would be my next option after that if not going for polybushes.

beetie likes this.
  6. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Might have to go for lemforder but not from euro car parts as they have bought the name,like they did with pagid.

There's also febi bilstien, which is normally German made.

Would have been so much easier if I could have got genuine from tps

7. murph81 Forum Member

I wouldn't rate the Febi stuff at al!
    Some people see the name Bilstein and think of the shocks, sadly I don't think they are related, definitely not the same quality anyway.

Can I ask why you don't want to use polybushes in the rear axle?

8. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Want the compliance and the slight rear steer effect. Just something that vw got sooo right

9. vwp6n Forum Member

What about lemforder rear bushes? Euro sell them and are as good as genuine items.

10. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Got to be careful with them if buying from euro car parts as they have naming rights of lemforder now. So could be crap in a lemforder box.
    I'd get then from another source though such as vwspares

11. murph81 Forum Member

G28OPN and beetie like this.
  12. G28OPN Forum Member

This is coming along nicely. Seen some of the comments on powder coating. Going to have a little look into it as im due to have all my bits done soon.

Love the new seats and steering wheel too. :thumbup:

beetie likes this.
  13. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Plating has become more and more difficult as it gets colder. Not just in the air but the solution(electrolyte) also.
    So I have ordered, via the bay of e, a fish tank heater and whilst at it an aerator.
    No more plating until these turn up, but that should be this week (fingers crossed)

The garage is getting a mess, yet again, so I decided it needed sorting a bit.
    I hate working on the floor and things get in the way. So, at work, I cut up these few bits

[​IMG]

And made them into these when I got home.

[​IMG]

This meant I could get the subframes off the floor, like this. Much better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I might as well chuck the arb on with the Superpro Bushes and lots of the supplied grease.

[​IMG]

At the weekend I tried to find some hinge pins I had, but had no luck. I ordered more, which means I'll find the others soon, as that's how it normally works. I did find the grotty heat shields, look here's the big one for the tunnel hiding up in the rafters. Just look at the state of it, 20+years on the UK roads

[​IMG]

The engine one, I gave a quick clean in alloy wheel cleaner with a small brass brush. Then a quick hand polish. It came up okay and looked not too bad after a bit of straightening.

[​IMG]

The big news though is that the car is in the spray booth being prepped. The primer is due to go on tomorrow after having the reface coat (sealer) today.
    Here's a pic off instagram of it, with the wings and bonnet on for the 1st time in a few years, looking more like a car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bolted on panels got a skim of filler and a quick coat too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As always my cars Retropower Facebook page got updated.
    https://m.facebook.com/MK2-Golf-Bodyshell-restoration-No2-by-Retropower-728675827233092/?refid=13

1990, G28OPN and blis like this.
  14. G28OPN Forum Member

Another step closer!

Happy birthday mate. Have a good one. :thumbup:

beetie likes this.
  15. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Your getting there :thumbup:
    Looking forward to the updates [8D]

beetie likes this.
  16. beetie

beetie Forum Member

The car is now in a colour coat, ready for wet sanding back to a super flat finish, before the proper colour go's on. When I say proper I definitely mean NOT red

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAh85caQ-zU/

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  17. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Just leave this here. Not the finished colour this is just a sealer coat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  18. Paul 16v Forum Member

Liked the Facebook page the other week, they are doing an amazing job and cutting no corners. It's going to be better than new

beetie likes this.
  19. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Cheers. They do an amazing job and I'm lucky they are very local.
    It should be in paint next week.

I do have to pop in tomorrow, to drop off other painted parts (bumpers, grill strip and tailgate handle), and I will have to finally remember to take some pics. Keep getting sucked into it all, in amazement, and forget.

If you pop onto instagram and search for retropower marc, he has loads of pics and a few little videos of it, amongst other car stuff and retropower projects. The link above will be the quickest route.

20. sports racer Forum Member

That is such a nice shade of non-red. :thumbup:

beetie likes this.