'90 golf gti 16v not starting...

Discussion in 'Engines' started by g_singh, Dec 5, 2006.

1. g_singh Forum Member

the car had been sitting for a couple of weeks while i was on holiday, came back and struggled to start, managed it and took for a long drive, parked it up while i was on a training course for another week and tried to start it,,,nothing.

tried to jump start it, and nothing, i had a feeling the battery was on the way out so got a new one yesterday.

still not starting, i turn the key and here the fuel pump, the starter motor or something is firing but the cars not turning, almost like theres no fuel going to the engine!

so any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Matt G Forum Member

I got the same thing, it maybe the stater motor a little stuck, ive been told to "tap it" with something to free it up.

3. nealey Forum Junkie

try tapping it with a hammer

4. shabba New Member

stick the car in gear get out and rock it back and forth a couple of times and it should free off the starter but be prepared to change it shortly.

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Have you checked the battery voltage? There might be enough power to fire the solenoid, but not to turn the engine over.

Sitting doing nothing in the cold can kill batteries, especially if they were getting on a bit anyway. That's probably what got the old one. If a battery has sat for a long time in the shop it might need a recharge.

6. g_singh Forum Member

thanks, i'll try tapping the starter motor tonight.

mike, the new battery was tested at just above 12v so should be fine.

i always get useful technical info on this forum unlike other preety boy forums! :lol:

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Should be nearer 12.5 if it's new, but above 12 should still start the car I reckon

Assume you've done the basics like cleaning the battery connections, starter connections, and engine/gearbox earth?

8. Matt G Forum Member

I'll give the above a go too tonight.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Check the voltage between the battery live and the engine block/ a head stud or something. There's no use having 12v + across the battery if it doesn't get to the engine.

10. Carbs4ever Forum Member

smack the starter - this happened me last friday night - i hit the starter a crack and she fired up next turn of the key..

11. g_singh Forum Member

i got it started, tried to start it by giving the starter motor a whack to o joy, push started it in the end, and its been fine since!! thanks for the advice!

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Good stuff. You probably want to line up a spare starter, in case it goes again.