90 spec sill cover questions

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Matt Golf, Feb 19, 2022.

1. Matt Golf Forum Member

Hi everyone , cleaning the gti side skirts, got a few questions:

how do I remove the jacking point cover flap from the plastic sill extension

how do I remove the 5 clips from the sill extension? Is it possible to do without wrecking them?

those 5 clips, are they meant to have a double sided adhesive pad as VWH shows them having one?

Cheers, Matt

2. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I seem to remember the jacking point hinge covers just unclipped at the bottom and then the top part of the hinge cover is just carefully pulled straight out, the five clips are attached to the sill by a double sided adhesive tape pre attached to the clips and at the top of them there are two studs that attach to an upper plastic strip stuck to the sill (again double sided tape) I seem to remember you just again carefully pull the plastic sill extension off from the bottom edge sometimes they break sometimes they don't, just remember the sill extension two self tapping screws and two rivets first. Someone else on here may know a better way two remove the sill extension.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes you open the jack flaps then pull out at a roughly 90 degree angle. the the sill clips are just pushed in, if they're still stuck in the sill then whoever stuck them to the car last used the wrong adhesive as they should be well and truely stuck on. same goes for the long strip along the sill

and yeah undo the screws thru the arches to the sill, drill out the rivets. then you grab the sill along the bottom and pull it out to release the clips then lift out of the long strip as otherwise can damage the strip and stop the trims hooking back in

4. Matt Golf Forum Member

Well that did not go exactly to plan. Snapped the little black clips 191 853 913 getting them off of the sill extension. For obvious reasons they are clipped in well hard!

5. Matt Golf Forum Member

Ended up snipping them all off rather than break the clip bit off the original VW side sill extension. Seems to me these clips are a one use only type thing!!

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

might have bee na bit brittle in the cold, or just old. Usually come apart ok but then again, last time I took trims off mine was near 10 years ago... I'm getting old :lol:

7. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

From memory most of the clips on the back of my side skirts are broken. The mounts on the sill are OK. I think the end rivets are keeping the side skirts in place.
    Anyone know if there a way to replace the broken skirt mounts?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  8. valvemiester

There is a self tapping screw at each end on the bottom of the side skirt and a rivet at each end under the jacking point cover

9. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Yes there are the screws which hold the arches to the sill covers too, I remember now. However I sometimes catch the edge of the sill cover when getting out of the car because it isn't held tight to the sill.

10. valvemiester

The sill covers are located into the top of a plastic strip that is stuck to the sill near its top edge, it has probably popped out of that or the strip has come unstuck and or the clips that hold the sill cover to the sill have broken/come unstuck.