94` VW Polo 86c 16v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by StigSamu, Jul 3, 2016.

1. StigSamu New Member

Finishing of the front bumper with some additional holes to help aitflow to the oilcooler and radiator.

[​IMG]

Mounted to the car with the plates

[​IMG]

Also the plastic inner arch got some holes for air to the brakes.

[​IMG]

Had some air hose ment for brake cooling but it was to small, so I made some cold air hoses for the air filter, will make a shield later.

[​IMG]

Last few things will be done in next week befor the trackday, now my T5 needs some tlc....

2. StigSamu New Member

Last weekend we attended a trackday with the Norwegian VW and Audi club at Rudskogen raceway.

Rudskogen raceway is Norways premier track, sertified as a practice track for F1 cars. Goes clockwise, has a huge downhill section and is 3280m long.

[​IMG]

Got the Polo loaded on the trailer, hooked up to the T5 and drove the 700km and 11 hours drive to the track.

[​IMG]

Totaly I got 140km on track this weekend. I had some issues on the two first stints, first a petrol leak due to not correct fitted petrol cap, and then from bolts on the struts not beeing torqued properly. Got the issues out of the way, and went for a drive.The car was really neutral to drive with the new rarb setup, bushings etc. I did not get the amount of front camber I wanted, but temperatures was under control

After 30-40 laps I started to get some vibrations on the high speed downhill section ( clocked 164kmh on the gps ), the vibrations got worse and then it was really bad and I had to stop.

After some investigaton I found the left driveshaft hitting the frame , raised the car 10mm and went for a drive. It was not better so had to call it a night.

Best lap was 1.52.91, was not totally happy with the time, but it was a lot of rubber on track and sunday was wet all day. Got a ideal lap time of 1.51.75 so the car and driver has more potential. Wanted to brake the 1.50 mark.

No pictures of the car on track now - waiting for some to come online. Just one from a refuel late saturday

[​IMG]

knarfmk1 likes this.
  3. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

fantastic little car! Nice to see some time and effort gone into making improvements :)

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds liek you had fun! any idea of the cause of the vibration yet?

5. StigSamu New Member

Well I guess there is severel causes for the CV joint failure.

One of them beeing the driveshaft hitting the frame rail, having 270mm from centre wheel to wheel arch

[​IMG]

This happened in the downhill section turning right in 150km/t+, so forces are big.
    Also remember from memory some play in the drive shaft from earlier.
    When dismanteling the plastic ring was defect and the inside the cv it was lots of metal dust.

[​IMG]

New CV and wheel bearing are ordered.

In 2 weeks time I am off to Nurburgring, so currently I am taking the Golf suspension setup off, moving dampers and springs over to the Polo strut, and also changing the cvs to Polo spec.

So in the coming days I have some prep work to do for the trip, even picked up a roof rack today........

6. StigSamu New Member

Nurburgring

Our prep for the trip to the ring started with a front suspension change. Going for the Polo strut/cv setup but with golf damper insert to use the Audi 80 topmount.

[​IMG]

Had a bolt check, suspension alignment and then the day before our trip, a hose for the oilcooler was leaking spraying oil on the exhaust bandage for a hefty smoke show!!

Fixed the oil leak and "washed" the exhaust bandage and got some transport wheels on and packed the car. Finally ready for the ferry from Bergen, Norway to Hirtshals, Denmark and then the 1030km drive to Dttingen, Germany.

[​IMG]

The long drive was rather unevent full and we arrived friday evening at Haus Marvin in Dttingen with no problems.

Saturday was raceday and we enjoyed watching both the GLP and RCN drivers.

Then Sunday came and we made the car ready for the track, mounted the Avons and removed all our other stuff. We got some laps in, first one was a bit crowded and needed the lap a have a look around, three years since last time I did a lap.
    Second and third lap was done with traffic and double yellow two places so laptimes was not really any good, but good fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later on the day we went for a fourth lap. We had a good start on the lap with a good clean run with almost no cars, a Porsche Cayman and a BMW e30 went past around the first carusel and we again made good progress. Came in to Brunchen and it was no grip at all, the BMW spilled cooloing fluid all over the track and we went in to the rails.

http://youtu.be/qytQDAXU8aw

The car was a total mess and not able to drive after the accident.

[​IMG]

The car went to Bongard in Adenau and my gf went to the Hospital, she got a broken rib, and was there for 2 nights.

The Polo got big damage, both front and rear, rear wheel did not turn, not able to open the drivers door, bent control arm, bent rear beam/axle, bent framerail and so on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So we got a crappy C4 Cactus as a rental car, maybe the worst car on them planet. We got around but did not do any more laps. Finally we just got on a airplane and went home to Norway.

So questions is, what's next!?

7. knarfmk1 Forum Member

Damn that's really bad luck! But unfortunately can always happen on a racetrack. What are you gonna do with the polo? get it to Norway to fix it or pull the good bits of and scrap it?

8. StigSamu New Member

I scraped the car in Germany, the amount of damage made it pointless to save it. Got the cams with verniers off, exhuast, rear dampers, ecu and some other electrical stuff.

Not really sure what's next, but the Schrick cam set with mech.lifters and bigger valves shure looks interesting, same with the Feld Motorsport front control arm setup, when tuv is ready.

Knarfmk1: what's your engine setup?

9. knarfmk1 Forum Member

Too bad, but see it as an opportunity to make an even beter Polo and keep us up to date here ;)

My engine setup is an Hybrid of a 1,4 16v head and 1.6 16v Bottom End. Head and Bottom end are build by Feld Motorsport.
    -1.6 16v ARC Bottom End (Polo 6N2 GTI)
    -Balanced std. Crank.
    -Steel H-Beam conrods (Feld Motorsport design & make)
    -Forged Pistons with 12,5:1 compression (Feld Motorsport design & make)
    -Balanced and lightened flywheel
    -1.4 16v AFH Head (Polo 6N)
    -32/28mm valves, mechanical head, fully ported
    -Feld Motorsport steel camshafts
    -Adjustable cam pulleys
    Max. rpm @8500, crankshaft cant handle more or it wil "wobble"

I have a nice set of Keihin FCR "flat slide" carbs for it but i think i will sell them and go for some bigger motorcycle throttlebodies with omex/dta :thumbup:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  10. scullyg40 New Member

Sorry to see that accident. Is your girlfriend okay now?
    Question though: Why did you go back to the Polo strut tower setup?

11. StigSamu New Member

She is back at work so she is better.

I went back to the Polo strut due to not getting the new parts, wheel bearing and cv's, in time to test the car for the trip.