'97 Golf Highline VR6 with Sony Cassette Headunit - Connecting CD Changer?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Mark_P, May 21, 2006.

1. Mark_P New Member

Hi Chaps,

I've just put down a deposit on a 1997 P Mk3 VR6 Highline (5dr unfortunately, but other than that it is absolutely perfect). I noticed that it has a Sony Cassette head unit which says CD changer control on it. At the moment I won't be able to afford a CD head unit and I'll be a bit lost without CDs but I do have an brand new unused Sony CDX-656 10 CD changer which I picked up a couple of years ago and just never got around to using.

As far as I can tell this stereo is standard as the manuals etc are in with the history and it's only ever had one owner. So my question is: Does anyone know if I'll be able to use my CD changer with this current head unit. Unfortunately I forgot to get the model number of the head unit when viewing the car, but hopefully someone here will know. The CD changer comes with a Sony BUS control cable and BUS phono cables.

Any help would be much appreciated! Oh and I'm looking forward to joining VR world, even with the extra doors.. [:$] ;)

Mark

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  2. Mark_P New Member

Anyone have any ideas? [:$]

After trawling the net I found a pic (still don't know the model number), but from what I remember ithe head unit is one of these:

[​IMG]

Cheers

Mark

3. Mark_P New Member

Anyone able to offer any advice? Come on, I know you all have the answer [:^(] ;)

Headunit is a Sony XR-6859RDS
    CD Changer is a CDX-656 with BUS cable.

I know I'm going to have to take the unit out anyway but I was wondering if anyone knows the answer off the top of their head? Also is there a recommended 'best route' for running the cables from the headunit to the CD changer in a MK3 5dr.

Thanks

Mark

4. B21 5IDU mk2 New Member

alright mate does ur head unit say gamma on it?

5. B21 5IDU mk2 New Member

6. Mark_P New Member

The head unit is the same as the pic. [:D]

Thanks

Mark

7. lord_sharpy Forum Member

it all depends on what connections are on the back of that headunit. if its the standard sony connections then in theory you should be fine. mite be worth whipping the headunit out and having a look. only take you two minutes. however if it hasnt got the connections then you probably wont be able to without an adapter.

8. G-Man Forum Junkie