97 Golf vs. 97 GTI vs. 98 VR6

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Dirtydrummer102, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Dirtydrummer102 Forum Member

here is my post about the 97 golf,
    "
    so im about to buy a 1997 Golf GL. i
    need to buy a new back bumper, i a new fog light. which should cost
    about $150 total or less. now the car ride is awesome. the clutch is
    good. but the speedometer doesnt work. the owns says it sometimes
    works, but if you hit the dashboard, it will work. so there could be a
    loose cable. the car is gonig for $3000. i really want it. im gonig to
    try to lower the price a little. and im thinking about taking to a
    machinc first to check the speedometer, it has 116,000 miles on it... i
    know it is a lot, but how long should that last? come on, help me out
    on this one. i didnt know were else to post this so i posted this here."
    now i found a 97 GTI for $6000, http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=186982285&d ealer_id=47556404&car_year=1997&make=VOLKS&dista nce=50&lang=en&max_price=&model=GTI&end_year =2006&min_price=&certified=&address=48154&se arch_type=both&advanced=&start_year=1981&isp=y&a mp;cardist=33
    and a VR6 for $7000. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=184198380&d ealer_id=54714664&car_year=1998&make=VOLKS&dista nce=50&car_year=1997&lang=en&max_price=&mode l=GTI&end_year=2006&min_price=&adCertifiedCheck= n&certified=&carfaxGeneric=false&address=48154&a mp;search_type=both&advanced=&isp=y&start_year=1 981&cardist=43
    which one would you guys go for. the gas mile. for the GTI/Golf is 24/31 and the VR6 is 19/26. my parent SHOULD pay for most of it. i inda like the GTI a lot more... tell me what you think?

2. theboymike Forum Junkie

For the lazy:

Gti

VR6

The GL seems overpriced for the things it has wrong with it and the mileage..

Given the difference in price and mileage between the Gti and the VR6, the VR looks like a much better bargain, although obviously you'd want to inspect and drive both.

You want to decide what you want from the car before you make a decision - there's a lot if difference between a GL and a VR6.

I think the Gti would be a good middle of the road car in terms of running costs and performance - although I can't figure out how many valves it has from the engine bay shot - if it's an 8v it might seem a bit under powered.. but still faster than the GL.

3. madmonkey Forum Addict

You'd be getting shafted for the GL.

Crossflow engine or not.

Go for the VR my good man. If it's not a lemon. :)

4. Jeff Forum Junkie

the GTI is an 8v, its a crossflow 8v thats why it looks different to ours.

before I'd looked at the adverts, I had made up my mind. get the VR6, assuming its not got anything wrong with it.

If economy troubles you, think about this. Our petrol costs nearly 4 a gallon (over that in places) and plenty of people on here drive VR6s. :lol:

Mileage isnt usually a big problem with VWs, and a VR6 at 54k is barely run in. If the noise and the performance and the cheap ass petrol you guys get werent enough to convince you, its got 54k on it and will easily do another 50k with regular servicing.

5. Mr.LaZy Forum Member

Its got to be the VR6 [:D] :clap: