'97 Mk3 Golf TDI cutting out !!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Gold-mk1, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Gold-mk1 Forum Member

Right, a question for my mums car........80K ish on the clock.

It seems to be cutting out a lot, sometimes it will just die when you are driving along ( motorway driving is great fun .....not ) and it will suddenly burst back into life again just as you are wetting yourself...

Or it'll die completely, and they'll be no electrics AT ALL ( this is according to my mum, who explained that she " couldn't even get the bloody indicator lights to work " when she was stuck half way up a hill earlier today.

Any ideas ? Its not reading any fault codes as far as I can see. I assume its some silly electrical problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as my folks are getting fed up with it and when its ok, it reallly is a belter...

Is there anything common that goes wrong with them ??

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  2. kev25v6 Forum Member

Most likely relay 109. It over heats and then the immobiliser kicks in and kills the engine. I had it happen to me for a while, just driving along and it would die, give it a few mins and it would start again and then be fine for a while. Look under the steering wheel to the right for the fuse box, there will be relay 109 in black towards the top of the box. Go to VW dealers and get a new one (probably have to order it). The new one is grey and the pins are upside down, dont know why, this should sort out your problems.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

is this one separate to the ecu and fuel pump relay? ive got a relay that gets pretty hot, didnt look at the number though

4. kev25v6 Forum Member

It should be the glow plug/ immobiliser relay. Most common electrical problem with the mk3 tdi. If your having problems with the relay getting hot it might be worth replacing it.

5. Seraph Banned

I wouldn't think of it as exclusive to mk3s - its a continuing problem for mk4s too.

6. kev25v6 Forum Member

I thought the mk4's had the new style relay and so didnt get the problem, might be old style relays fitted to the newer cars?

7. Seraph Banned

Yep, old style 109 relay - always packing up apparently

8. kev25v6 Forum Member

9. Leon R Forum Member

The indicators packing up fault, does this tie in to the 109 relay too?

Just wondering as the same thing happened to me when my car used to cut out and the ignition switch was to blame, I had no hazards and on two occasions no dash warning lights in the cluster. The cutting out was due to a different fault tho.

10. kev25v6 Forum Member

Cant remember if my lights packed in at the same time, mine did it about 9 months ago, new relay and never done it again. A new fuel and air filter gives the car a new lease of life if they have not been changed in a while.

11. oddhod New Member

I am quite sure I came across a problem with a diesel transporter not starting. It was a blown fuse for either the immobilisor or the fuel shut-off valve, but hazard lights shared the same fuse.

12. Gold-mk1 Forum Member

thanks chaps...

any idea how much the relay is ?

13. kev25v6 Forum Member

I think i paid around a tenner from the dealers. Have a look on www.gsfcarparts.com they do relays from 7.50.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  14. Supercharged Forum Member

Best to get this from the dealer for the sake of a couple of quid... always worth changing fuel pump and ecu relays on a 10 year old car to prevent relaibility problems

15. Gold-mk1 Forum Member

All sorted now.........it was the ignition switch !!!! [:s]

thanks for all replies. :)