'99 1.8t - Gutless, won't rev past 4k rpm.

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Marshall, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Marshall Forum Member

Morning gents, picked up a '99 1.8t (AGU) the other week on a whim. I've done a few things to it: new MAF, new N75 and replaced several split vacuum hoses which generally seem to be the main culprits from what I've read when it comes to performance issues. Its all bog standard, ni mods, 105k on the clock.

Since replacing the parts I can hear the turbo spooling up better than when I got it however the engine still feels gutless and pretty much goes flat at around 4000rpm. When driving at quarter(ish) throttle it feels like its picking up, but anything past that up to WOT there's just nothing there.

I've had it on my brothers Snap-on diagnostics reader and the only recorded fault code was for the temperature sender (now replaced). Anyone got any ideas what maybe causing it? My gut thinks it maybe fuel starvation, but as its not an engine I'm familiar with I'd rather check the knowlage base out there first.