99 Polo - steering wheel removal

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by RIP-MK3, Nov 28, 2009.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

Hi,

I am trying to take off the steering wheel on my mum's polo. It is a base 1.0 bad boy but has an airbag. 'Normally' there are allen key bolts at the back to drop the airbag unit out. I can't find any allen bolts in there and have seen a guide for a mk4 golf that suggests some are released by clips inside? put a flat blade in there and release them?

obviously with an airbag I want to know Im doing the right thing before I get the rage with it!!!! :lol:

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^ saw that guide mate, but that says allen keys and this is clips. I have pushed the clips in now but still can't get the front off. I am scared of sitting in front of it and pulling incase the air bag goes off!!!

having never seen behind there don't want to lever screwdrivers in there and there isn't much to pull on

4. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i did find this description for a 2000 polo no photos

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

see when i pushed the screwdriver in i could feel little clips that pushed against the driver and i pushed these in and it 'clicked'. There is evidence the wheel has been off before, do you think I have actually clipped the airbag back in? and it was already done?

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

sorted in the end, got new stalks out of an arosa at the scrappy for 15, wipers working again and all put back together :thumbup: