9A conversion questions? Which base?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Lofty, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Lofty Forum Member

after reading wavrious posts on here i'm fairly confident the 9A conversion comprising or either the bottom and only or the entire engine is the swap for me as i can run standard managment etc and its a pretty easy swap. Currently planning using a 9A bottom end with a modified mK2 16v head (port,polish re-grind standard cams to schrick spec if poss.) sound OK? would the same work and cams in the 9A head be equaly as good?

I havn't actually got a Mk 2 GTi to use as a base to swap this into yet and i want the most suitable year/model for an easy swap utilising as many original parts as possible. what year and spec is best (concerning the injection system mainly i guess) and how much extra grief would an 8v be? as i'll have a limited parts bin to utilise with the 9A bottom end (9A being inline so i will need sump etc)

Basicaly i want it to be as simple and easy swap as possibly done at minimal cost

any help much appreciated

2. GTI

GTI Forum Member

9a is is transverse, no need to swap the sump or manifolds. the 6a from an audi 80 is the inline variant.

any 16v mk2 will do, but the later the better. an 8v would need the injection changing, but this may come with the 9a if you are lucky.

the 9a and kr heads aretty much alike, but the kr cams are much better.

3. matt d Forum Member

Only one of the cams is different but i cant remember which one.
    Gary knows ;)

4. GTI

GTI Forum Member

inlet cam is different, but if the kr is an early model it may have different chain wheels, so best tot swap as a pair. it's easier.