9A Steel Water Pipe

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by Loplop, Jan 30, 2024.

1. Loplop New Member

Hello All,

Apologies for diving straight in to ask for help, I don't usually like to do that and I've not been on a forum proper in a very long time, but I'm starting to pull my hair out...

We've got an April '94 registered 2.0 16v Corrado that we're putting back on the road. We'd gotten to the point where it was (was) ready for MOT, when it was idling one day and decided to blow it's coolant all over the garage.

Turns out the steel water pipe running round the front of the block to the right hand side and heater matrix had several pinholes.

I've tried (and failed) to locate the correct water pipe. I believe I'm after 051121065C, however LLC parts list that and 027121065P https://www.lllparts.co.uk/product/051121065C/coolant-pipe to be interchangeable? Even from their diagrams the parts look different and the header tank in the diagrams, the one against the 0271...P part looks more identical to what we have.

I've already ordered one incorrect pipe last year that was for 027121065D/027121065E, I'm not entirely sure how I got to that part number, but it's a massively different shape...

Any help is much appreciated and will get us well on the way to having another Corrado back on the road!

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

027121065P is what I fitted to my Mk2 Golf GTI 1.8 16v KR.

I believe I bought the last one in the UK?.

Fronm what I've read the 9a is basically a 2l KR engine so that's the part number you need.

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

This is what old one looked like if it's any help?.

20220905_172753.jpg

4. Loplop New Member

Thanks Keith, it looks similar, I'm not sure if the pipe is still in the car, I'll have a dig around over the weekend.

Classic VW have one in stock, state it fits 'late 1.8 16v engines only' though.

I'll take a look at some late KR and 9A pictures.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

027121065P is for late MK2 and early corrado KR, 051121065C is for late corrado KR & 9a. they're pretty similar though, all I can see is the hose from it to the header tank is a different part number

6. Loplop New Member

Cheers,

From what I can see on the parts diagrams provided by LLC, https://www.lllparts.co.uk/product/051121065C/coolant-pipe 051...C has 5 outlets as opposed to 4 outlets on 0271...P part https://www.lllparts.co.uk/product/027121065P/coolant-pipe.

The header tank and layout on the 0271...P part looks closer to what I've got (from memory) than the 051...C part.

I'll go out to the car shortly and double check.

7. rubjonny

The 051 diagram is incorrect, that is for the early KR pipe which has an extra outlet for the Scirocco heater matrix bypass hose (still there in early MK2, but not required)

8. Loplop New Member

Thanks for clarifying, so from your original reply I can assume I could use the 'P' part number and replace the pipe to header tank pipe?

9. rubjonny

I would assume so, I can't see anything else in etka that differs. It could be the pipe is shaped to clear something 9a specific however. One thing that it could be is the late style of oil filter housing might move the filter/cooler slightly...

10. Loplop New Member

It looks like (in etka, thanks for that, new to this whole VW thing), the 'P' pipe will fit, it's just the aforementioned header tank hose and the upper mounting point is slightly different, though I can't see it being a huge issue if it's only mounted in one spot. Certainly better than it having nothing as is!