A common problem it seems

Discussion in 'Engines' started by totzo, Jul 28, 2008.

1. mark25 Forum Junkie

If the engine earth wire is not making good contact you can measure it. Measure the Volts between the battery -ve and the engine block while cranking the engine. Any extra resistance present will soon give you a detectable Voltage to measure with the starter motor Current flowing.

2. totzo Forum Member

This is getting bizarre, I tested for a spark again and am getting a healthy one now. I then took all the plugs out after cranking it over for a bit and only one of them had petrol on it. I can hear petrol at the rail when it primes though. Blocked injectors maybe? I'm going to change the fuel filter just in case now even though it was fitted in March.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

being a late mk3, it might have... erm... that word that means it can fire fuel into each cylinder seperately? The ABF has it. Rather than on a MK2 where the injectors are all fired at the same time regardless. In that case the ecu may have been damaged so it can only send fuel into the 1st cylinder? Either that or one of the sensors that the ecu uses to know when to fire each injector is faulty...

4. totzo Forum Member

I think you may well be right there. I plugged in the laptop again and in the engine module measuring blocks there's a section for "injection timing" it is set at 50ms where below it says 2-5ms. When I start cranking it over this number drops gradually but then stops at 20ms. Not quite sure what this means but if the reference is 2-5ms then maybe it's spraying at the wrong time?

5. rubjonny

possibly, you're getting out of my depth now, we need someone like toyotec to comment!

6. totzo Forum Member

IT'S FIXED!

Not too sure if I want to say this as it's very embarrasing!

At some point in the proceedings the dizzy cap got put on the wrong way round- AA guy maybe? Since then I've been carefully making sure it gets put back on the wrong way round!!!!

So, there must be a moral there somewhere.

Hard to say how many of the fixes were actually needed- ECU relay, battery and engine speed sensor for sure, but not sure about anything else.

Cheers for all the help and suggestions to all :) :) :)

7. rubjonny

oops! oh well at least its fixed and you found & fixed a few other potential problems while you were there too :lol:

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It's always something daft, after you've gone through everything. One of my old Mk2 Digis sat in the garage for months - it would start, run, then cut out. No alarm, no immobiliser. I changed everything. Then one day after not even looking at it for about a week, I decided to swap in an engine loom I had, about a 15 minute job on a Digi - it started instantly and ran fine, right into a telephone pole a few weeks later.
    Never found out what was wrong with the loom, I sold it on kraut Ebay as "condition unknown". :lol:

9. mattkh Forum Member

Hi
    Glad it is sorted.
    Please put up a picture of the dizzy cap. It would be nice to see how it can get on the wrong way.

10. totzo Forum Member

Will do, might be worth having a pic like that in a faq section somewhere? Haynes don't have a very good picture showing how it should be set up- I had to really squint to figure it out!

I'll do it asap, good suggestion by the way! :)

PS. I so psyched now- no more shopping on my push bike!!!