A couple of 2.0 16 valve questions

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Peter, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Peter Forum Member

I'm fitting a VW KR head to a Audi ACE 2.0 16 valve block an I was wondering if anybody knew the answers to the following questions?

1. Do I use a cambelt and tensioner for the KR or the ACE?

2. What sump gasket do i use, KR or ACE?

Thanks in advance,

pete

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

If the ACE is a short block, use the KR belt and tensioner, if the ACE had an auto tensioner, bin it, use the KR manual one ( a new one ) as you're using the KR head, you won't need to change the stud that the tensioner is fitted too. (it's a different size stud)

I binned the auto tensioner on my 9A and fitted the stud and tensioner from a KR. :p

Use whatever gasket to match the sump.
    Edited by: GVK

3. Peter Forum Member

Thats great, thanks Gary :) yeah the block is a short block, I'll get the KR tensioner and belt from GSF in the morning I'll pick up the gasket whilst i'm there also, think that'll bring the total to about 11 gaskets i've ordered today! there not cheap as well [:^(]

pete

4. GVK

It's always the little bits that add up when you're doing a job like this, as you're finding out [:D]
    Edited by: GVK

5. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, do what gary said,

thats exactly what I did with my ace used the ABF head gasket.

6. GVK

Yep, you need the 2 litre head gasket, and don't use a cheap one - genuine metal VAG one I used. :)

7. hotgolfgirl Forum Member

Yup, don't use a cheap one. I did and never made it to Stealth, though the lift home from the AA saved me a fiver on the Severn bridge and a load of petrol!:lol:

Buy an ABF metal gasket and fit it and forget about it.

8. Peter Forum Member

Cheers guys, yeah the costs are spiralling my last big spend should hopefully be the starter motor then I've got to pay for it to get set up :( hopefully it shouldnt take to long, I'm going for a Victor Rehinz (SP) headset kit for the ACE from GSF, hopefully they'll have it in stock tomorrow,

Steph I still havent found the oil filter housing either!! hopefully one will turn up otherwise its off to the dealer again [8(]

Pete

Edited by: Peter

9. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Might be able to help you with oil filter housing and any other bits you need :)
    Pm-me, you can have them cheap!

10. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Pete, Any GTI housing will do, take the housing off the KR engine that you are replacing, you will need to buy a gasket, if you havnt bought the bottom end gasket set.

Oh if you Havnt replaced the oil pump, make sure the pick up pipe is cleaned out.

if the victor gasket isnt a metal one sent it back to GSF, you really dont want the hassle

11. GVK

I would also suggest you won't be able to use most of the gaskets in the head set for an ACE. As you'll need KR rocker cover gasket,manifold gaskets etc....

Ok, you do need a genuine VAG metal head gasket though.

12. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Are you sure? I thought the ACE was basically a newer 6A? When I stripped my KR to build up 6A the KR oil filter housing definitely did not fit the 6A.

If the ACE is indeed the same as a 6A then the valve cover gasket is the same as a KR as are the exhaust manifold gaskets.

In any case make sure you take the old ACE headgasket to GSF and make sure you get the right one. In the Victor Reinz packet there's usually a little leaflet that has all the engine codes and relevant gasket part numbers - check this too.

13. GVK

Sean, the later 9A like mine (92-94) has an ABF type head and rocker cover with studs and nuts rather than bolts ( different gasket)

ACE engine was from similar years as late 9A from memory.

14. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I think Pete will need to be very careful (esp as it's GSF lol).

GSF list:

11491B Head Gasket SET - 6A/ACE 90>

but

11144A Head Gasket ACE 3/94>
    &
    11144A Head Gasket ABF 92-97

So could it be that there is an "early" ACE=6A
    and a "late" ACE=ABF ? I'm at work so can't check on ETKA.

15. Oplaii Forum Member

It appears so, on a '93 it lists the same gasket for '6A' and 'Ace' click

And '94 on it shows just the 'ace' with a different gasket part number click
    that one matches the ABF gasket click
    Edited by: Oplaii

16. GVK

I seem to remember when I got my metal gasket from VAG that it was the same number as an ABF gasket.

17. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

Just thought of something else, the ACE head set will not have the gasket that goes between the 2 sections of the inlet manifold, your best bet is to go for the 9a head set.

The only thing that would stop the head gasket fitting would be a metal pin that is on the block, but these can be pulled out easy enough.

The oil filter housing on the ace is tilted at an angle which makes it unusable, I swapped it with one off a Passat , it looked bog standard with 2 holes for the sensors, the one on the 6a has three holes, both fit, If your stuck Pete, I give you a spare.

18. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Peter - I've not got any clever gasket advice but glad to hear the 2 Litre conversion is coming along! Good luck. [:D]

19. Peter Forum Member

Thanks again everyone :) Spent the day stripping down the engine as it had all the Audi ancillaries still attached, separated the head and block was really pleased to see no obvious wear in the bores [:D] Spent a good while sourcing bits, my head gasket is being delivered in the morning as well as tensioner and Ive got to pop into my dealer to pick up some gaskets and new bolts for the flywheel. My pack A head hopefully goes on tomorrow and Ive got a lightened flywheel and new clutch assembly to go on, all being well the bare engine should be complete tomorrow evening, one question do I need to remove everything from the block i.e. water hoses and other little bits or is best to leave certain things in place?

Steph, thanks mate thats really cool :) Ive sent you a pm

20. Lod_Dub Forum Member

filter houing i took from a mk3 8v gti. fits straight and has 3 holes for sensors.