A couple of firsts today

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by jamesa, Jan 5, 2012.

1. jamesa Forum Junkie

A Mk5 R32 .... with DSG

Having owned a manual MkIV R32 from 03 to 06 and currently running a manual `98` A4 2.8 quattro I find myself hooked on the `V`petrol thing.

The Mk5 is so much tauter than I remember the MkIV, steering - chassis - brakes ... impressed.

The DSG was a revelation after previous experiences of standard auto / tiptronic / Steptronic / SMG I / SMG III ... I was not expecting it to be so good :clap:. Whether I would want to live with it depends on what a much longer test drive revealed plus what warranty would be available ;)

From a pure driving perspective ... I`m not yet comfortable with the paddles / steering relationship and the engine braking capability ?

Now to find a manual to test [:D]

2. coullstar Forum Member

I'll be honest I keep thinking about changing the Rocco for one of these, manual though. I love the Rocco to bits but Im a V man at heart. Ive been in a DSG one as a passenger and TBH it didnt feel that quick. Nothing a little snail wouldnt sort out.

3. coupechamp Forum Member

i have an ED 30 DSG, new from 08, once you get use to the paddles their fine, i spend about 95% of the driving time using them, traffic of car parks only get the 'D' setting :lol:
    I love these boxes, yes it's nice to get in a car with a good manual shift, but i wouldn't be without it now, even my wife is a convert with her DSG Eos, not paddle though. Beeing an instructor at Silverstone i 1st got to see the boxes in the TT's we had, and straight away got to like it, great piece of kit, but will stick to manual for the race car ;)

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

Aye, the impression of speed is strange ... I put it down to the fact that you are somewhat `removed from the process` ... having less contact / feel via the clutch pedal / transmission.

Drove a manual `V` today, not a VAG though ... a much more involved experience :thumbup:

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

herslef has a standard GTI "V" , leather , manual... and I love it .Apart from the brakes.. A perfect daily for use on all road surfaces .