A decent return on 10,000 over 2 years?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 1990, Sep 14, 2011.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Is there such a thing?

If you had 10,000 that you wanted to stash for 2 years would you leave it in the bank, buy premium bonds, 10,000 lucky dips or hide it under the matress?

How much would you have hoped to turn it into after 2 years?

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Invest it in stocks and shares - hard to say what your return would be though as it fluctuates.

3. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Tough one, I personally don't think there's a safe bet at the moment that would give you any time of decent return.

2 years ago I would have bet on Bank Shares recovering by now to somewhere near pre-crash figures, but that hasn't happened, well it did for a bit, but they're rock bottom again now. Could be a good gamble if you can find someone to buy them who knows what they're doing as the seem to rumble along at the bottom at various levels, but first sign of decent long-term recovery or paying back the goverment and they'll fly, a lot of it will rest on 'ring fencing'.

You've long missed the boat on Gold.

If paying a lump off the mortgage is out because you want it back in 2 years, I'd go premium bonds, you might win some cash, you probably won't, but sticking it in savings will mean you'll get next to nothing anyway.

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

From looking around the internat i'd likely get a 250 return on premium bonds with 'average luck' but the chance to win 1,000,000 is a nice thought. There was a post office account that would return 643 over 2 years which is 7 less than it would cost me to borrow it.

Thing is i'm a terrible saver but excellent bill payer. I could borrow 10,000 for 447/month over 2 years which would mean paying back 10,650. I'd see it as an easy way to save and if my job or whatever went tits up i'd have the money there to pay it back.

I'm seeing this as a good possibility but i'm not 100% on the idea at the minute.

5. 2.0 MK2 Forum Member

i'd be tempted by shares in Aviva - currently yeilding just under 9% on dividends alone.

6. G-Man Forum Junkie

Split the money into your own and your partners ISA if you don't already have one to make the most of the tax free savings :)

If you don't want the half to go to your partner's ISA, then drop the maximum amount in now and straight away on the 6th April 2012 drop the next lump in.

7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I'd be buying Lloyds shares. But working for them, even we dont know if they will go up or down on a daily basis.

They were trading at just under 1 last year. They dipped to 30p before on the original banking sector share price crash, so they can go up.

They are supposed to be a hot buy, with a projected price of 2.50 per share in the next 2 years. If i had 10k to play with, with a long term game plan, thats where my money would be. As with any shares though, only invest what you are prepared to lose.

8. Collie Forum Junkie

why not just save the ammount each month ,using a standing order to place in an account that you cannont access quickly,

9. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Me and my brother had a 10k premium bond account given to us when our Nan died, most it won was a grand and that was after just a few months, it then steadily gave us couple of hundred a year, did do nothing for 10months once but over a period of the 6ish years before I started spending it it got about 2.5% return so not worth it, but in the first 2years it did closer to 8%, its gambling and expensive gambling at that with the possibilty of losing 300ish pounds per year if you where unlucky and got nothing.

10. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Have you considered investing in metals and commodities? Might get a good return over 2 years if done smartly..

11. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I'd be looking at sports arbing, would hope to turn that 10k into 20k over 2 years.

How about pay off 10k off your mortgage if you got one?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  12. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

so you want to borrow 10k to make about 500, I can't work out if you're mental or borderline genius!

13. danster Forum Addict

You could deposit the funds in "The Bank of Danster", this may or may not return a profit. If that sounds too risky you could split it between mine and say........."The Bank of Wez". His bank is an unknown quantity, but at least the risk would be halved.

14. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

good idea Dan!

that or, 10k on a mortgage for a buy to let...

15. Claypole Forum Junkie

Could probably get the 250 in a week rather than 2 years if i had the money. :lol:

16. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

17. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

buy a polish girl and pimp her out?

18. TJ2727 Forum Member

If you had bought 10k worth of petrol 2 years back what would it be worth now ;)

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

Someone would have nicked it and started a riot.

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

Investment-wise, it's a pretty risky time to be putting money into the stock market. Bank/ISA rates are almost worthless. Unless you fancy taking a big risk with a market punt, it's time to play it safe I think.

You could buy a classic car project for a few grand, and keep another 5k to restore it. That's probably as good a bet as anything at the minute, but you have to buy the right one... just like buying the right shares. I figure you've probably got more expertise when it comes to cars, than playing the stock market.

If you're thinking of any sort of riskier investment (cars, stock market, etc) it would be better to split it and only invest 1/2 or 1/3 on the risky stuff.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011