A realistic weight of a stripped mk2

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by drunkenalan, Sep 24, 2010.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

shame about that side mike, looks like it was a good car before!

2. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Back in the day. I used to make my own alloy door skins, bonnet and boot, for the Saab 96s.

Doors were easy. They had a smooth single curve, from just above the door handle down. I used to cut the steel panel about 1/2" below a stiff ridge which was about 2" below the bottom edge of the window, leaving the steel, where the handle fitted, in situ. I then unbent around the edge, and bottom of the steel skin. and removed. The steel skin was replaced with alloy sheet, about 1 or 1.5 mm thick. Countersunk pop-rivets and epoxy along the top, and wrap around the edges and base. All internal stiffening was removed except for the rear curved slideway for the window. The window was replaced with a piece cut from sheet prespex. Easy on the Saab cos. it was flat, and pivoted at the front. ie. It rotated in a curve, on the front pivot hinge, and thus, did not slide up and down.

Bonnet and boot were made by taking an original item, and stitch welding in heavy stiffeners. These were then used as formers to beat an alloy part from. Quite a bit of filling and sanding was needed, as my beating skill was poor. My mate reconed that Rolls Royce bodies used quite a bit of filler, so I should not be too upset.

Never tried to make alloy front and rear wings. Far too complex shapes. GRP wings were available, from SAH I think. Quite crude and heavy though. So I stuck to steel and just thinned them down as much as possible with a sanding disc (or two dozen) on the inside!

Don't know what the aluminum alloy was though. It came from a company who did sheet meatal fabrication for the aero-space industry. One of the lads at the motor club worked there, and got the material at trade price, or so, for the club members. He even had a titanium sump guard for his Mini Cooper S!

3. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I don't think those TBs fit in a Mk2 engine bay? Or are you going with a x-flow head? If not, the Scirocco maybe a better choice if it has an engine bay similar to a Mk1 Golf where you can get rid of the rain tray.

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i dont think they will fit without some butchering, that why they arent in my road car

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

how heavy is the sunroof?

6. markb16v Forum Member

9kgs for the sunroof

i've got my mk2 down to 840kg's (1/4 tank, r888's) by removing all the underseal (haven't done underneath floorpan yet though), unused brackets, rear seat frame, sunroof etc. It still has all steel panels, glass, servo and pas so a fair bit still to lose.

7. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

840kg thats a good result. is yours an 8v?

8. markb16v Forum Member

its been abf'd mate. Just thought the 840 is with just the drivers seat in the car. Last year it was weighed at 880kg with both seats and a full tank of fuel, a full tank weighing approx 40kg's

9. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

so it has the heavy engine....

10. markb16v Forum Member

couldn't agree more :p [:D]

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

power vs weight....