A useful tool for profiling tubes for cages etc..

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Bruce T, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Bruce T Forum Member

Not sure if this is the correct place for this so Mods please move as you see fit.

I'm in the process of adding a harness bar to my cage at the moment and stumbled upon this great little program to help with profiling (coping/notching, whatever you want to call it) the tubes and thought it might be helpful for others.

Its called "Tubemiter" and believe it was written by a clever chap called Giles Puckett.

Link to freeware download: www.tonyfoale.com/progs/tubemiter.exe

Very simple to use.
    First, enter the diameter of the joining tube (in my case 44.45mm) and the tube wall thickness (2.6mm). Enter the diameter of the other tube (44.45mm again) and also the angle at which the tubes will intersect each other (78deg for this one).

[​IMG]

Bash enter and voila! You get a scale template to print and cut out to give you the exact profile for the end of the joining tube! :thumbup:

[​IMG]

There are two curves - the first dotted one is the template you would cut if the wall thickness were zero (this is the one I've cut to in this picture below) and the second solid curve is the template corresponding to the requested wall thickness.

[​IMG]

Once you've cut the template out, wrap it around your tube and tape to hold in position.

[​IMG]

Test fit. Perfect!

[​IMG]

Now cut to the second solid line to allow for the tube wall thickness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark up the tube in your preferred method. I had some black paint to hand. In hindsight I should have used something that what would be more visible while using the grinder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now all that's left to do is break out the grinder and burr and you should have a perfectly profiled tube, ready to weld! Unfortunately I'll have to wait till Sunday now, neighbors wont take to kindly to be using the grinder at this time of night... :lol:

Anyway, hope that's helpful to someone.

Cheers,
    Bruce.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    TonyB, infinity, EZ does it and 4 others like this.
  2. Bruce T Forum Member

Ahhh! Can a Mod kindly change the thread title for me please. Was supposed to type etc. not extra....[8(]

Thank youuuuuuu!

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Used this program to help make my downpipe too.