A4 or Passat?

Discussion in 'Passat' started by noms2000, Feb 18, 2009.

1. noms2000 Forum Member

With another baby coming soon, I will have to get a bigger car as my daily driver (the mk3 Golf wont cut it anymore). I know they're pretty much the same, but what's better out of a Passat or an A4, around 2001-2002..?

2. Mook

Mook Forum Member

You'll get a lot more car for your money with a Passat. It's based on the A6 platform, so it's bigger. I've had both from that era and in terms of driving "pleasure", the A4 beats the Passat. Really depends what you want.

We had to replace Mrs Mook's dead Polo over xmas and, after much hunting, I managed to get a 2001 Y reg 1.8 T sport estate for 1800 with full history.

You'll be pushed to get a B6 A4 from the same year for that kinds of money unless it's got a zillion miles on it.

HTH :thumbup:

3. noms2000 Forum Member

Thanks for that, probably considering the A4, as I'm also looking for something that I can "mod"

4. noms2000 Forum Member

How about a Bora?

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

bora is a fair bit smaller. Not a lot of leg room for passengers really (similar to the A4 though tbf) the passat is bigger. I would get a passat

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

it depends on the budgets and what you want...

a A4 tends to be slightly better inside, with stuff like auto climate control, and slightly beetter plastics...

but a ****rat is cheaper and comes with more kit as standard, like trip computer.

either will be good, but dont get a saloon, the esate will swollow odd shaped things way easier!!

7. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I got my A4 avant 1.8t sport for 1300, its a 2000 plate with 100k on the clock, Audi estates seem to be dirt cheap at the moment so id take advantage!

8. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

the passat estate has more boot space and more leg room in the back

9. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

the passat has a fantastic interior, vw were trying to rival the big boys with it and the interior plastics and all around quality is superb, models also come with climatronic.

As above, it's based on the A6 platform so plenty of room inside and it's got a decent chassis as well if you were so inlcined to give it some beans in std form ;)

although I am jealous of dubnick getting a A4 avant 1.8T sport for only 1300, cat c/d? I couldn't find any at that price [8(]

10. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Dont think its been writen off but you have seen how bad the body is, got a few dents! needed new tread, and took a few turns to starts from hot, all sorted now but good bargaining points, and the guy had built a few show VWs so was used to taking silly loses on cars. He had just sold a mk2 for 3grand that probably would of fetched 6grand on ed38! I was just in the right place at the right time.

When I went to get rid of it a few months back I couldnt find anything even close to its spec for 2k, ended up keeping it and now im looking at spending 4k just to get something a little nicer.

11. richard s Forum Member

ive got a 98 1.8 t sport passat had it about 3 years its got climate and cruise and apart from the suspension arms and a couple of cv boots and a downpipe needing replacing its a cracking family bus

12. deacon Forum Member

I am looking for a highline TDI got 5,500 to spend hopefully gonna bag me one by the weekend Audis in my eyes are over priced and not as well specced in my eyes as the passat